$50
$500

68 °
    69 °
    70 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    60 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
April 28
71°/ 62°
Heavy rain
April 29
69°/ 52°
April 30
70°/ 46°
Sunny

Classes to move back to originally-scheduled rooms

C.J. Getting
Room 218 was closed due to exterior construction in Sept. It will reopen for classes on Oct. 2.

Classes at Central will move back into their originally-scheduled rooms on Oct. 2 after several classes on Central’s eastern wall were relocated due to construction at the start of the school year.

The rooms were originally planned to be off limits for all of first semester, but the rooms will open ahead of schedule since construction was less extensive than originally planned. 

“When we first talked about it, we thought that it was going to be a much bigger project than it really is,” said Carrie McFadden, Assistant Principal for Operations. “We thought we might have to replace steel beams or reinforce them, but the beams are fine. They’re rusty because of the water drainage that had been in there, but it wasn’t as big of a deal as we thought to begin with.”

There will still be some construction noises in the rooms through October.

“It’s not going to be a constant noise; it’s not going to be all day long,” McFadden said. “If you happen to be giving a test [in one of the rooms] and that is one of those noisy days, there are open classrooms and I’ve given them a chart of what’s open what period so that [teachers] know that there’s a place to relocate.”

All homerooms will now be in classrooms, after several were held in Central’s LC, auditorium lobby and other “creative spaces” due to the construction, McFadden said.

AP and Honors Biology teacher Amy Hastings is one of the teachers who was relocated during the construction.

“Being displaced has had some challenges with knowing where things are at having everything I need for certain labs in the classroom,” Hastings said. “ Even though I’m in another science classroom, I’m not in a biology classroom. I have to completely plan out my day because I can’t just run next door and grab stuff if I don’t have it. I have to run all the way across the third floor to get it.”

Hastings will now be back in her original room, Room 317.

“I was very excited and very relieved [when I found out I’d be back in my classroom],” Hastings said. “That’s my comfort area. It’ll be nice to be back.”