Naperville Central High School's award-winning newspaper.

Central Times

• October 16Join Spanish Club for a Taco Fiesta on Wednesday Oct. 18 in room 89A. Bring $3.

• October 16All Prospective National Honor Society members should stop by room 313 on Thursday Oct. 19 to pick up results.

• October 16The Choral Concert will be on Tuesday Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.

• October 16Multicultural Club will have its first meeting on Monday Oct. 23 at 7:05 a.m. in room 205.

• September 30American Sign Language Club meets on Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. in room 105.

• September 30BPA meets Thursdays at 7:15 a.m. in the INCubator room.

• September 30Medical Club will meet on Friday, Oct. 13.

• September 30JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• September 30Yearbook Club meets on Thursday mornings in room 216.

• September 30R41N, a no-cut K-Pop dance club meets Wednesdays from 3:30 to 4:30 outside of room 219.

• September 30The Central Times meetings will be held on Tuesdays at 7:10 a.m. in room 218.

• September 30Truth Seekers will meet on Fridays to discuss various topics.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6The Boys Bowling team will have its preseason meeting on Monday Oct. 23 at 3:30 p.m. in room 41.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

• August 31Join the Central Times club meetings on Tuesday mornings at 7:15 in room 218

College Bound: Maggie Hillman

Art by Lexi Haskell, photo courtesy of Maggie Hillman

Art by Lexi Haskell, photo courtesy of Maggie Hillman

Lexi Haskell, Editor-in-Chief

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Senior Maggie Hillman committed to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign two and a half years ago for soccer. A brief version of this interview was run in CT’s March issue.

Central Times: How many years have you played soccer?

Maggie Hillman: Since I was six or seven, so 10 years.

CT: When did you realize that you could go D1?

MH: As a player on a club [soccer] team, they always encourage the idea so then you start thinking about it in eighth grade. Freshman year was when I really started looking into colleges and realizing maybe I can go and play. My coaches also talked to me and encouraged me.

CT: What was your reaction to knowing you could play D1 soccer?

MH: It was great because [soccer] is something I am really passionate about. Getting the opportunity to continue that in the next level is really exciting. It’s also really stressful. You have to commit to it and know it’s what you want.

CT: Why did you decide on U of I?

MH: I was looking at a few other places, but you go on visits. When I visited [U of I], I just fell in love with the coaches and the program. It’s also a good school so I will still get a good education there. It just seemed like the perfect fit and had everything I wanted.

CT: What are you most excited about for college soccer?

MH: Honestly, just joining the program. After being committed there for two years and seeing everything they’ve been able to do, I just want to be a part of that. It’s just a count down.

CT: What are you most nervous about for college soccer?

MH: Having to adjust because adjusting to college is hard enough and adding in sports is a whole new part of it.

CT: Do you have any plans post college for soccer?

MH: Not for soccer. I would love to keep playing, but not professionally. I’m looking to go to medical school so that’ll probably take over.

CT: What has it meant to you to play high school soccer?

MH: When I first wasn’t playing [for freshman and sophomore year], it was for college soccer. Now, having the experience to play high school is really great because the girls are so awesome. It’s a tight-knit group and you get to spend so much time together. It’s really exciting to represent your school because people look to you, and I really enjoy that part of it.

CT: Do you have any words of advice for underclassmen?

MH: It will all work out. You’ll know where you want to go. You’ll feel it.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email