Central to host Washington Street holiday market

Ria Jha, Staff Writer

The Washington Street Holiday Market is being hosted this year at Naperville Central High School.

“It is an event where talented vendors sell vintage handmade and repurposed furniture, jewelry, home accessories, and personal products” said Daniela Cirone, the sponsor of Sophomore Class Council.

Sophomore Class Council made fresh hot chocolate and sold it last year, donating the money to Cody’s Room. Students from Naperville North and Naperville Central used the money to renovate the room of Cody, who has Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis (LCH), a rare cancer-like disease that can damage tissue or cause lesions to form in one or more places in the body.  It can also cause bone swelling, bone infections, skin rashes, lymph node enlargement and other symptoms. He has had this from a very young age. Sophomore Class Council, and many other organizations, fundraised and donated their profit to this good cause.

holiday_market3

“It’s a great way to get involved in the community,” said Cirone.

Not only did they get to sell their product alongside other Napervillians, they also got to donate to a great cause. It’s not about the money, but more about enjoying the time and commitment to this event and having fun doing it.

“The sophomores last year really enjoyed it” said Cirone. “They got to make homemade hot chocolate, with whole milk, a crock pot, real chocolate, vanilla extract, and cream. It was authentic hot chocolate.”

Safa Habib is also participating and helping organize in the event this year, as she is also the treasurer of Junior Class Council.

“This year, Junior Class Council is doing a bake sale and running the coat check-in,” Habib said. “All of our profits will be donated to Doctors Without Borders.”

Doctors Without Borders is an organization that helps people worldwide by delivering emergency medical aid to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care. Both Sophomore Class Council and Junior Class Council are putting in effort to make money and donate to it organizations like Cody’s Room and Doctors Without Borders.

The event is on November 19th 11a.m. to 5p.m. and November 20th 10a.m. to 4p.m. with an admission fee of $5. It’s time to have fun and get involved in the community.