Science teacher Paige Lundquist leads her third period Honors Biology class on May 10.
D203 Board of Education approves major changes to science course pathway
Nolan Shen, Arts & Entertainment Editor • May 23, 2024
One of the photos taken by senior Tomi Bounphisai of R41N during this years Centrals Got Talent show.
Senior snaps singing, dancing and prom: “I just enjoy watching their vision come alive”
Selah Lee, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
Sophomores Lilly Jia (far left) and Audrey Cheng (left) instruct competitors at Clover Math’s elementary and middle school math competition, hosted at Central on April 26. Clover Math is an organization founded by four District 203 juniors.
Student-led math organization hosts competition
C.J. Getting, Operations Managing Editor • May 21, 2024
From left to right, Robert Zoellick, Dr. Catherine Adrian DeRidder, Matt DiCianni and Ben Hutchison pose after becoming Central’s newest Distinguished Alumni at a ceremony on May 3.
Central inducts four new distinguished alumni in 25th annual ceremony
C.J. Getting, Operations Managing Editor • May 20, 2024
View All
Support Us
$50
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of the Central Times by helping to fund their monthly print issues.

Recent Tweets
Instagram posts
Weather Central

• 9 PM
    59 °
  • 10 PM
    58 °
  • 11 PM
    56 °
  • 12 AM
    55 °
  • 1 AM
    54 °
  • 2 AM
    53 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    51 °
  • 6 AM
    52 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    57 °
  • 9 AM
    60 °
  • 10 AM
    62 °
  • 11 AM
    64 °
  • 12 PM
    66 °
  • 1 PM
    66 °
  • 2 PM
    66 °
  • 3 PM
    66 °
  • 4 PM
    65 °
  • 5 PM
    64 °
  • 6 PM
    62 °
  • 7 PM
    59 °
  • 8 PM
    57 °
  • 9 PM
    55 °
May 27
68°/ 54°
Patchy rain nearby
May 28
67°/ 51°
Moderate rain
May 29
68°/ 48°
Partly Cloudy

Windows re-installed on east wall after eight-month wait

Jake Pfeiffer and Jay Deegan
Room 218 with temporary walls on the windows (left) compared to Room 218 with new windows (right). Room 218 was one of several that had temporary walls instead of windows due to construction on Central’s east facing wall.

Windows were installed in Central’s easternmost wall, marking the end of the three-stage rebuilding efforts stemming from structural concerns found in early August of 2023.

After identifying these concerns, the outer bricks of the wall were removed, allowing for further exploration of the issues identified. The beams were found to be structurally sound, but some rust necessitated remediation.

“I’m glad we are on the home stretch and that things should be fine from here on out,” Assistant Principal for Operations Carrie McFadden said. “It was nice when I went over spring break and got to see it. You just forget how much light can come in the room when it’s boarded up all the time.”

Masonry work was completed in December, with temporary drywall and plywood put in place of windows. Due to manufacturing timing, the installation and finishing work was completed over spring break.

A small number of openable windows are still yet to be installed, due to a parts delay according to McFadden.

“It’s been rejuvenating,” said Amy Hastings, a biology teacher whose classroom is adjacent to the wall. “The kids were very excited when they walked in on Monday. It was the first thing they noticed and I honestly think it’s made this week, it’s made everyone happier.”

Principal Jackie Thornton announced on Aug. 1 that the wall would need to be torn down and adjacent classrooms would be closed. Classes were rearranged throughout the building to find alternative spaces for instruction for the affected classrooms.

As a result, much of the first semester’s instruction was impacted, with homeroom classes needing to find space in unused parts of the building such as the Learning Commons, and other classes such as biology not having immediate access to normal specific equipment in their rooms.

The total financial impact of the removal and reconstruction has not yet been released by the District, but bids for the work placed the total at $593,050.