“One team one dream”: boys bowling strives for highest scoring season yet

Senior+and+varsity+bowler+Ethan+Rupp+steps+up+to+the+lane+during+match+against+IC+Cathloic+on+Nov.+30+where+he+became+Centrals+all+time+leading+scorer+with+a+total+of+39%2C601+pins.+

Lifetouch

Senior and varsity bowler Ethan Rupp steps up to the lane during match against IC Cathloic on Nov. 30 where he became Central’s all time leading scorer with a total of 39,601 pins.

Scott Murphy, Staff Writer

Naperville Central’s boys bowling team defeated Oswego East on Dec. 13 to move into an 14-0 record. 

The team set multiple school records within the win.

It has been the team’s best start to a season in recent memory, head coach Brian Dunn said. 

“It’s hard to replace a great start,” Dunn said. “It helps guys realize their potential, and is promising for the rest of the season.” 

On the way to 14 wins, Central defeated Lockport High School, a defending regional champion, for the first time in program history.

The team has been led by different players at different points. Against Streamwood, it was brothers senior Sean Lee and sophomore Aidan Lee with 642 and 620 point series respectively. Against Glenbard North, sophomore Nate Taverna led Central with a 722-point series, tying the school record. Against DeKalb, Nate McKinley scored a 265 high game and a 662 high series. Against St. Laurence, senior Ethan Rupp led all bowlers with a 257-high game.

The strong start has also brought more attention from spectators. 

“It’s exciting and helps us see what we’re capable of,” Dunn said. “But it’s also a double-edged sword because it makes us feel outside pressure.” 

Team culture has also played an important role in attaining the strong start to the season.

During a long day in a hot dark bowling alley, players can tire, so the positive culture and momentum is crucial to keep motivation going.

“It’s everything,” Dunn said. “One team, one family. One team, one dream. They all support each other. Varsity supports junior varsity and junior varsity supports varsity.” 

Dunn said the team is optimistic for the rest of the season. 

“We hope to make regionals and sectionals, and hopefully have players place top six at, sectionals and maybe make state for the first time in Central history, ”Dunn said.  

Boys bowling has eight matches left before the start of their IHSA State series on Jan. 27-28.