Central boys’ basketball defeats Naperville North and moves on to play Benet tonight

In a packed Benet gymnasium, Central took on its rival Naperville North in the opening round of the IHSA State playoffs yesterday, Feb. 28. Central came out on top, 50-43, after a thrilling game that was sent into overtime.

Central only allowed North to take the lead once during the first few minutes of the game, but North did not let up, keeping the game tight until the buzzer.

Central, the number seven seed, and North, the number 10 seed, played in hopes of competing against the next-round opponent, Benet, tonight, March 1, at 7:30 at Benet.

Central junior Nick Czarnowski led all scorers with 17 points and was quintessential on defense for the Redhawks with two blocks. Senior Mike Blaszczyk added in 15 points as well.

In overtime, the Redhawks took advantage of foul line by making 12 of 13 of their free throws. This allowed Central to cruise to a seven-point victory and lock up their match-up tonight against Benet.

Central has faced Benet twice thus far and has recorded both a win and a loss. The 6-foot-9 Czarnowski will face off against Benet’s 6-foot-9, 240 pound center Sean O’Mara who scored 12 points on Central during their last meeting.