Frustrations mount en route to loss

Head wrestling coach Rob Porter argues with an official, claiming that one of his wrestlers was illegally choked. The referee called the match in favor of sophomore Ben Williamson's opponent. Central would lose their DuPage conference opener, 32-26.
Head wrestling coach Rob Porter argues with an official, claiming that one of his wrestlers was illegally choked. The referee called the match in favor of sophomore Ben Williamson’s opponent. Central would lose their DuPage conference opener, 32-26.

Varsity wrestling coach Rob Porter was not happy. His team lost 32-26 to Glenbard East High School in its DuPage Valley Conference opener on Friday, Nov. 30. But it’s the manner in which they lost that had Porter so upset.

After the 126 pound matchup was over, in which sophomore Ben Williamson lost to Glenbard East junior Josh Martin by the score of 10-2, Porter believed that Williamson was illegally choked by his opponent and he argued his case to the referee. Porter eventually got called for unsportsmanlike conduct, costing the team one team point.

The match started off slow for Central with senior Eric Reents and junior Louie Giovannetti getting pinned in their matches at the 170 weight class and 182 weight class respectively. Central picked up a couple wins at 195 and 220 with a major decisions from seniors Ryan Berg and Luke Roth to narrow the Glenbard East lead to 12-8.

Senior Joe Saleh lost against D’Andre Johnson of Glenbard East by one point, but freshman Shuji Mizoguchi had a narrow win against Steven Nguyen of Glenbard East at the 106 weight class. Mizoguchi was nearly pinned by Nguyen after being trapped in a spladle by Nguyen, but a reversal by Mizoguchi turned the tables of the match.

Central then hit a losing streak with losses from seniors Yuki Mizoguchi and Aidan Kehrli, junior Derek Wilke and sophomores Ben Williamson and Matt Chobak. Kehrli and Williamson wrestled Glenbard East sophomore Jake Drew and Martin respectively. Both Glenbard East wrestlers received honorable mentions at their weight class on illinoismatmen.com.

Wins by seniors Hunter Stephens and John Needham and junior Andrew Cassioppi rounded up the night. Cassioppi and Stephens both pinned their opponents and Needham won by decision. Those three wrestlers put 15 team points on the board, but it was not enough for the team win.

The wrestling team resumes dual action next Thursday, Dec. 6 at Wheaton North High School.