Returning with a splash

After two state championships and countless awards and titles, former Central swimmer Kelly McNichols has returned to Central.

McNichols swam for the University of Georgia, and is now an assistant coach for the 2011 girls’ swim team season.

Head coach Sue Welker was looking for another coach after recently undergoing spinal surgery.

“She called me and said she needed help, and so I did,” McNichols said. “For now, I’m just helping out Sue until the season’s out.”

Assistant coach Aaron Maschman spoke highly of having McNichols on board.

“It gives the girls the opportunity to look up at the record board and see her name,” Maschman said. “It gives the girls something to shoot for.”

McNichols is more of a technician at practice. She helps the girls focus on smaller details to improve their swimming styles.

“Her critiquing is magnificent,” junior Julia Roller said. “She puts in not only what she had learned at Georgia [into her feedback], but from her own experiences as well.”

When doing harder sets at a practice, a good dose of mental toughness is required according to McNichols.

“I always tell [the girls] you have to become comfortable with being uncomfortable,” McNichols said. “The faster they can push that limit, the faster they’ll go the next time around.”

McNichols brings great amounts of energy and enthusiasm into the coach staff.

“I think her energy has really been a good thing,” Maschman said. “She’s coming in very anxious to help out with the strokes and help girls out with strategies for the races.”

Knowing what the swimmers go through on a daily basis with training and school, McNichols can easily relate to the girls among all levels, according to Maschman.

“I feel she can relate extremely well, no matter if she was a Central swimmer or not,” Roller said.

McNichols seeks great opportunity in her swimming future. She plans to keep swimming and train for the Olympic trials. McNichols previously attended the 2008 Olympic trial and qualified in five events.

“I figured I’m young, and I’m going to give it another shot and see what happens,” McNichols said. “I just want to make the meet and see what I have left in the tank. I’ve still got a little fight left in me.”

Meanwhile, McNichols said she’s enjoying the time back at Central.

“I love being here,” McNichols said. “I look forward to coming here for every practice.”