Kirsten Dunst and Cailee Spaeny star in Alex Garlands Civil War.
Review: “Civil War,” or how to be so safe you accidentally say nothing
Mack Gowan, Opinions Editor • April 18, 2024
Sophomore Deven Patel sits at his computer trading stocks during his lunch period. Patel has made over 30 times his investment by trading stocks.
Sophomore makes 'massive profit' trading stocks
Jinan Parves, Correspondent • April 17, 2024
Sophomores Amy Yang and Claire Cameron fundraise to support breast cancer awareness during a lunch period on Oct. 19 for Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA).
HOSA Chapter unable to attend state competition
Jayanthi Dar, Staff Writer • April 13, 2024
Carlo Rindi Nuzzolo, a Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions Post-Doctoral Global Fellow, performs a 3D scan of Naperville Centrals ancient Egyptian mummy.
Central mummy 3D-scanned for international research project
Jake Pfeiffer, Editor-in-Chief • April 12, 2024
View All
Support Us
$50
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of the Central Times by helping to fund their monthly print issues.

Recent Tweets
Instagram posts
Weather Central

• 2 AM
    41 °
  • 3 AM
    40 °
  • 4 AM
    40 °
  • 5 AM
    39 °
  • 6 AM
    40 °
  • 7 AM
    42 °
  • 8 AM
    45 °
  • 9 AM
    49 °
  • 10 AM
    52 °
  • 11 AM
    55 °
  • 12 PM
    57 °
  • 1 PM
    58 °
  • 2 PM
    59 °
  • 3 PM
    60 °
  • 4 PM
    59 °
  • 5 PM
    58 °
  • 6 PM
    57 °
  • 7 PM
    56 °
  • 8 PM
    55 °
  • 9 PM
    53 °
  • 10 PM
    52 °
  • 11 PM
    52 °
  • 12 AM
    52 °
  • 1 AM
    52 °
  • 2 AM
    52 °
April 22
60°/ 39°
Patchy rain nearby
April 23
58°/ 47°
Patchy rain nearby
April 24
49°/ 35°
Partly Cloudy

Icarian literary magazine wins national award

Sarah Segvich
The 2023 issue of the Icarian Literary Magazine won the Recognizing Excellence in Art and Literary Magazines (REALM) First Class award.

The Icarian, Central’s literary magazine, was awarded The Recognizing Excellence in Art and Literary Magazines (REALM) First Class by the National Council of Teachers of English for their 2023 issue. 

The REALM program publicly recognizes excellent literary magazines from middle schools, high schools and universities.

Faculty advisor John Hayward attributes the success of the magazine to several factors: the growing number of students who work on The Icarian, the quality of writing and art and the publication’s well-curated design. 

“[This award] is a validation of the students’ work; we really put a lot into it,” Hayward said.

The Icarian publishes the best of student poetry, short stories and all kinds of other genres of writing and art, showcasing student submissions from across the year. 

“What the staff did uniquely last year is the pairing of pieces that worked really well,” Hayward said. “So the flow was very nice. And it all starts with a cover that was really engaging. From start to finish it was just a solid magazine.”

According to Hayward, despite a wide range of art mediums and writing styles, each year a theme naturally develops. 

“It was amazing to win and a lot of it was due to last year’s Editor-in-Chief Kalani Staudacher,” said junior Michael Liu, who now leads the publication. “She did a great job with it and so did the rest of our team. If you combine everybody’s hours, we probably spent 100 hours working on [the publication].”  

The club meets from September through May, evaluating what’s going to go in the magazine, approving pieces and designing the issue.

“There’s a strategy in magazines of where to put your strong anchor pieces and where to dip in between so there’s an intentional flow to it,” Hayward said. “But there’s a day somewhere in March, where everything is laid out on the table, all the written pieces, all the art pieces in a step back and go, this is it.”

Liu believes spreading awareness of the magazine helps make a better publication. 

“Knowing submissions are open, we encourage people to get their voice out there because it’s not us making the magazine it’s everybody that submits,” Liu said.