$50
$500

63 °
    63 °
    65 °
    66 °
    68 °
    69 °
    70 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    60 °
    61 °
April 28
71°/ 62°
Heavy rain
April 29
69°/ 52°
April 30
70°/ 46°
Sunny

Winter week to include Monday assembly, party-focused dance

Sam Lockhart
Members of the sophomore dodgeball team run to collect balls during the Feb. 5 winter week assembly.

The week prior to Central’s winter dance is going through some “major changes,” in an attempt to increase school spirit. New festivities include a Monday assembly, a party-focused Winter Formal and the return of the St. Baldrick’s fundraiser.

“If we’re making [winter dance celebrations] a week, you might as well have a kickoff,” said Samantha Szopinski, Central’s Dean of Student Activities. “We thought it would be fun to have another friendly competition between sophomores and freshmen, and juniors and seniors.” 

The Monday assembly will mimic the first Homecoming assembly. It will include student versus staff dodgeball, performances from various student groups and other student games. The Friday assembly will include other performance groups, the Special Olympics basketball game and the St. Baldrick’s fundraiser.

“Adding that staff element is always fun for students as well,” Szopinski said. “It’ll be a lot of joy and fun throughout the week.”

Winter week was originally planned to have another school activity on Wednesday to replace Mr. NCHS, but after Dynamic Duos and Class Feud both struggled with signups, the plan was ultimately scrapped.

This year, winter week spirit days kicked off with “Taste the Rainbow” class colors on Monday. Tuesday’s theme is “Mike and Ike” twin day, followed by “Sweet Dreams” pajama day on Wednesday and “Nerds and Smarties” scholarly attire on Thursday. Friday will conclude with “Peppermint,” dressing in Naperville Central red and white.

“We wanted to make all of our dress-up days more accessible for everyone instead of making them wild or hard,” said Natalie Richards, President of Senior Class Council.

Students in spirit wear can go to the Student Activities office throughout the week for daily prizes, including Naperville Central winter hats and various candies.

According to Richards, the winter dance on Saturday is intended to be more accessible to all audiences, whether or not they have a date. The DJ has previously worked with Central during the 2021 homecoming dance.

“Our goal this year has been to make it less of a romantic dance and more of a party like Homecoming is for students,” Richards said. “We’re really the first class who’s trying to change the perception [of] Winter [Formal] from students on what the dance is. We’re making it more vibrant and fun.”