$50
$500

65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    63 °
    62 °
    60 °
    60 °
    59 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    61 °
    63 °
    64 °
    63 °
    64 °
    65 °
    67 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
    59 °
    57 °
April 28
72°/ 62°
April 29
70°/ 53°
April 30
71°/ 47°
Sunny

‘It’s definitely been challenging’: Girls basketball starts 2-8

Running+down+the+court%2C+sophomore+Ava+Rybarczyk+looks+to+make+a+basket+during+a+game+against+Neuqua+Valley+on+Dec.+7.+The+teams+current+record+is+2-8.+
Nina Rao
Running down the court, sophomore Ava Rybarczyk looks to make a basket during a game against Neuqua Valley on Dec. 7. The team’s current record is 2-8.

Central’s girls basketball team is off to a slow start to its season, going 2-8 over their first 10 games.

To head coach Andy Nussbaum, their record doesn’t say everything about the team.

“We’re struggling a little bit because we’re playing outstanding teams,” Nussbaum said. “But I do think we are getting better. And I’m hoping that we’ll continue to get better so that for the rest of DVC (DuPage Valley Conference) play, and for the IHSA Regional, we’re competitive and ready to go.”

The team has lost to two of MaxPreps top 10 teams in that span (Kenwood Academy and Batavia), and two top 25 squads (Waubonsie Valley and Glenbard West). 

The team also lost two players early in the season, causing a shift in expectations for the team.

“It is a very unusual situation because one of our players moved a month before the season started, and another one had ACL surgery during the first week of the season,” Nussbaum said. “So our expectations definitely shifted from July to November.”

That player who moved was not just any player, either: the team lost Trinity Jones, the seventh-best sophomore in the nation according to ESPN and a member of Team USA’s 16U squad.

“Overall as a team, it’s definitely been challenging,” junior Eleni Nicoloudes said. “We’ve played some tough teams and have not seen as much success as we’ve hoped for, but we work hard every day to improve.”

Nicoloudes hopes this challenging season will push the team and herself to be better on the court.

“I hope to see some more wins in our future,” Nicoloudes said. “We’ve struggled with using our talent to the fullest potential, but once we can snap into that momentum, we will be able to see more success.”