Ellen Purl, pictured in 2023. Photo Credit: Flight Yearbook
Junior becomes first Central girl wrestler to make state tournament
Evelyn Zwicky, Online Managing Editor • March 4, 2024
Jake Pfeiffer was named the Illinois Journalist of the year on Feb. 23.
Central Times Editor-in-Chief named Illinois Journalist of the Year
Javen Oswald, Marketing, Outreach and Engagement Managing Editor • February 28, 2024
Opinion: A (Barnes and) Noble solution for downtown
Nolan Shen, Arts & Entertainment Editor • February 27, 2024
A Naperville Central swimmer races the backstroke at last years IHSA state championship.
Pushing past the limit: Overtraining at Central and beyond
Nolan Shen, Arts and Entertainment Editor • February 23, 2024
View All
Support Us
$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of the Central Times by helping to fund their monthly print issues.

Recent Tweets
Instagram posts
Weather Central

• 11 PM
    60 °
  • 12 AM
    57 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    50 °
  • 3 AM
    47 °
  • 4 AM
    46 °
  • 5 AM
    45 °
  • 6 AM
    44 °
  • 7 AM
    44 °
  • 8 AM
    43 °
  • 9 AM
    43 °
  • 10 AM
    43 °
  • 11 AM
    43 °
  • 12 PM
    43 °
  • 1 PM
    45 °
  • 2 PM
    46 °
  • 3 PM
    47 °
  • 4 PM
    47 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    41 °
  • 9 PM
    40 °
  • 10 PM
    40 °
  • 11 PM
    39 °
March 4
74°/ 53°
Moderate rain
March 5
48°/ 39°
Moderate rain
March 6
48°/ 35°
Sunny

Opinion: McDonald’s new CosMc’s is not worth the wait

Selah Lee
Central Times staffer Selah Lee waits in the absurdly long line at CosMc’s on Dec. 8.

McDonald’s launched their first-ever spin-off restaurant, CosMc’s, on Dec. 7 in Bolingbrook. The menu features unique drinks and food options that emulate places like Dunkin’ and Sonic. 

CosMc’s is a drive-thru-only restaurant, so every day since its opening there has been an abhorrently long line looping through the entire parking lot at Boughton and Weber.

I decided to wait four hours in line so you wouldn’t have to.

The system for ordering and lining up was extremely disorganized, to say the least. The line moved maybe two cars every 10 minutes. Lines were unclear and many people cut the line without consequence. Police were at two stops in the line to guide traffic, but many drivers were still lost as to where the start of the line was.

If CosMc’s implemented a Portillo’s type system where workers come to the cars and take orders to prevent so much backlog, it would have definitely gone a lot faster and smoother. Instead, there were four ordering stations in which you order and pay. The screen then tells you when your order is ready, and which of the four windows to drive to. 

I had a conversation with the workers while I was waiting for the food and they were extremely kind and cheery. They told me they did not expect the reaction they were getting, but also said the line was due to the amount that people were ordering. The man who took my order was actually in charge of technology and had to step in and help out to deal with the rush. 

The food itself was mediocre. 

The Sour Cherry Energy Blast drink was really good and refreshing and was not a drink I could find at other fast food places due to the addition of the popping boba. 

The Creamy Avocado Sandwich was not my favorite, and I ended up not finishing it. The brioche bun was flavorless and bland and the sauce was not interesting enough to make up for it. 

The snack options like the pretzel bites with spicy queso were great but really overpriced. I would probably reorder them if I wanted something quick and easy to eat while driving. 

Finally, the McPops — which they only had one flavor of by the time I got to order, the apple cinnamon — were pretty much just bigger Munchkins from Dunkin’ filled with sauce, and came in at a dollar per McPop. They weren’t bad but they were not anything special. If you want the same thing for much less, just get a glazed Munchkin and dip it in Nutella. 

Overall, CosMc’s was a fun experience, but definitely not worth the wait and most items were not worth the price. When the hype around it calms down, I would probably return for a drink, but that’s it.