Students forced to choose between overlapping homecoming dances

Students+at+Central%E2%80%99s+homecoming+dance+mosh+outside+on+the+track+on+Sept.+24.+

Joanna Dvorkin

Students at Central’s homecoming dance mosh outside on the track on Sept. 24.

Vasu Dar, Copy Editor

Over 2,000 students attended Naperville Central’s annual homecoming hosted outdoors on the track on Sept. 24. But this year, Central, North and Metea Valley hosted homecoming on the same day, creating logistical hurdles for some students.

Like last year, the mosh pit for Central’s dance was outside on the track, with a DJ on a stage playing pop music. Indoors, karaoke was held in the auxiliary gym and refreshments were given out near the cafeteria. This year, the stage directly faced the patio.

“Last year Naper Settlement had an event so we had to have our stage throwing music south,” said Lynne Nolan, Dean of Student Activities. “This year, we’re able to have the stage [facing] the patio. Having the patio to overlook is phenomenal.”

Another change was the addition of a new entrance at the front of the school to avoid long lines. 

“Now we have two outside entrances because we have so many people,” Nolan said. “We don’t want kids staying in line too long.”

Since homecoming has always been after a home football game, the possible dates were limited. In the end, homecoming fell on the same day for Central and North. 

“It probably has happened three times in the 23 years that I’ve been here,” Nolan said. “There just aren’t any other choices; we’re avoiding holidays and parent conferences.”

Some students were unhappy because it was harder to attend both events since they were happening at the same time.

“I don’t think it’s a great thing because it kind of makes people who have friends in both schools feel as if they have to choose,” Central senior Noah Rooney said.

To allow students who had friends at both schools to attend the two concurrent homecomings, a special system was established.

“You could buy your ticket at North, leave the North dance between 8:00 and 8:30 and be here between 8:30 and 9:00,” Nolan said. “It was an option for seniors only.”

The student response to homecoming was generally positive.

“I’d say it was pretty good,” Rooney said. “I’m not a huge fan of mosh pits, [so] I like that they have a separate section for people who don’t like that.”

There are a few minor changes planned for next year’s homecoming.

“It’s dark at the track… we need to put a light there,” Nolan said. “Next year, we’re going to figure out what additional bathrooms we’re going to open.”

Students are encouraged to go to next year’s homecoming.

“Absolutely go,” Rooney said. “I think it’s something that you should at least try out because you’d be surprised how fun it actually is.”