Central Times names Reggie Fleurima male Athlete of the Year

Katie Dalton

Senior Reggie Fleurima gets ready to return a kickoff against Naperville North on Oct. 8.

Kait McHale, Staff Writer

The Central Times Editorial Board named senior football player Reggie Fleurima as male Athlete of the Year for his outstanding athletic achievement. After moving to Naperville Central his sophomore year, Fleurima played three seasons with the Redhawk football team. 

“Reggie played wide receiver for us and I’ve known him for four years,” head football coach Mike Ulreich said. “He really is a terrific football player and a phenomenal kid.” 

Fleurima is ranked the seventh wide receiver in Illinois and 37th in the nation. This year, he was also on the All Area first team, but past his achievements, it was Fleurima’s character that earned him this Central Times recognition. 

“He is the standard for who we want all of our student athletes to be,” Ulreich said. 

Fleurima’s career began early. 

“When I was in kindergarten, I played right guard and right tackle,” Fleurima said. “Then by fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh grade, I was a quarterback.” 

The foundation of Fleurima’s early success began when he played varsity receiver during his freshman high school season. 

“My freshman year in high school I played varsity,” Fleriuma said. “I started having a lot of fun with playing receiver that year and kind of realized that’s what I liked best.”

Fleurima then received multiple scholarship offers from colleges and universities around the country during the tail end of his freshman year. 

“I still remember getting my first offer on May 22 of freshman year,” Fleurima said. 

Fleurima was a four-star recruit and is currently playing at Northwestern on a scholarship after graduating from Naperville Central a semester early. 

“I ended up committing to Northwestern a week before the spring season of my junior year,” Fleurima said. “It’s definitely been an adjustment, but an adjustment I really like.” 

Ulreich said Fleurima’s football success isn’t the only thing that made him the incredible student-athlete he is.

“Even though he was really talented and highly recruited, there was not a thing we did that he was too big for,” Ulreich said. 

The Redhawk took his position as a captain to the next level in every aspect of his life. 

“Down the road I want to continue to be someone younger people can look up to, especially kids from Central,” Fleurima said. Fleurima dedicates his success to his team and coaches.

“There are a lot of people that go into me earning this. I can’t give all the credit to myself,” he said. “I was surrounded by great teammates that push ed me to be the man I am and great coaches who always put me in position to succeed.”