Central football jersey provider switches from Nike to Under Armour

Sam Wichhart

(left to right) Seniors AJ Deinhart, Tommy Coyne, Braden Lindmark and Mike Oliver show off their new jerseys at the Sept. 8 home game v. Metea Valley. Central won 55-7.

Riddhi Andurkar, Managing Editor

Central’s football team recently purchased new jerseys from Under Armour for the 2017 season.

Before the 2017 season, Central’s football team purchased jerseys from Nike.

There was a rumor circulating through the student body that Nike stopped sponsoring the football team due to the team’s poor performance last season.

However, this rumor is incorrect, since the football team raises money to purchase new jerseys.

“The team was due for new jerseys and Under Armour was a better deal and was more economically sound,” Athletic Director Andy Lutzenkirchen said.

Central’s football team raises money to replace old jerseys every two or three years. Senior and varsity football player Joel Deutsch believes that while purchasing the jerseys was a good decision, the sizing was not accurate.

“I think the new jerseys look spectacular on the field,” Deutsch said. “Personally, wearing them at school on Fridays is very difficult because they are very tight.”

There has been a similar response from the rest of the team, according to Deutsch.

“Our team thinks they look awesome and appreciates the resources put into them,” Deutsch said.