• August 24Congressional Debate new member meeting will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 30 at 3:20 p.m. in room 228.

• August 24Science Olympiad informational meeting in room 323 at 3:15 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 28.

• August 24Truth Seekers will meet on Friday to discuss topics for first semester.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

• August 31Join the Central Times club meetings on Tuesday mornings at 7:15 in room 218

Central staff and students look to the sky on day of historic eclipse

Central students gather on the football field to view the eclipse on Aug. 21.

Ana Turner, Business Manager, Opinions Editor

On Aug. 21, Naperville Central’s entire staff and student body filed into the football field, safety glasses in hand, in order to witness a once-in-a-lifetime event. Students squished together, shoulder to shoulder, to view the first total solar eclipse to stretch across America since 1918.

A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon completely blocks the sun, resulting in darkness during the middle of the day. This event requires precise timing, which is why it only occurs about every 18 months according to space.com.

Although total solar eclipses occur about once every one and a half years, this eclipse was the first to cover America coast to coast since 1918, making it a special occasion. Katherine Seguino, the head of the science department at Central, realized that this rare event would be taking place during the school day and saw an opportunity to bring the entire student body together to witness it.

“I thought it would be really cool to witness science on a larger scale,” Seguino said. “This is a very historic event, [as] most people have not experienced an eclipse.”

Seguino planned an assembly during the time in which the eclipse reached its maximum totality, meaning the moon was blocking the most amount of sun it could. In order to ensure the safety of the students during this assembly, preparations needed to be made.

Prior to exiting out to the field, students were handed a pair of safety glasses, specially made to view the eclipse safely without risking eye damage. Kathryn Hurd, a teacher at Central, as well as a former optometrist, commented on the dangers of viewing the eclipse with the bare eye for an extended period of time.

“The danger [of staring at the sun] is that you have enough energy that comes through the macula which is the main central part that you see in the retina, and it damages the delicate macular retina area,” Hurd said.

Although all students were given protective glasses, some students had prepared different items to help enhance their viewing.

Jennifer Norgaard, an astronomy teacher who also helped with the planning of the assembly, described the project students in her astronomy class created to help see the eclipse a different way.

“We created a pinhole projector,” Norgaard said. “Every little pinhole reflects what the sun is doing at that moment.”

The pinhole projector consisted of a thick piece of cardboard, covered in aluminum. Students poked small holes in the design of their choice so when the sunlight went through the holes, the shape of the current moon would appear on the ground.

Although many students were excited to witness the event, some were let down by the day’s weather conditions.

“I’m kind of upset,” Senior Mahie Gopalka said. “I’m sure it’ll still be cool, but I was expecting more and I was hoping it would be clearer so we could see everything well. But it’s still a fun experience.”

After the eclipse concluded, students returned to their classes and resumed normal instruction.