• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Everdine’s Grilled Cheese Co. diversifies Downtown Naperville

Ana Turner, Staff Writer

With Downtown Naperville’s wide array of dining options, it seems impossible to miss any type of food group. From instant pizza, noodles, delis and all types of ethnic foods, Downtown Naperville’s options appear limitless.

Recently, a new type of dining was introduced in Downtown Naperville: grilled cheese. Everdine’s Grilled Cheese Company had it’s grand opening on Nov. 16. The restaurant is run by husband and wife, Brian and Kelly Herkert.

The couple is not a stranger to the restaurant industry, with both K. Herkert and B. Herkert having 20 years of experience.

“You can’t get a grilled cheese in Downtown Naperville, so we are hoping we found a little niche,” K. Herkert said. “I think us being family owned is different for Naperville.”

In order to establish the family-friendly feeling, different murals are painted across the wall. These were painted by a close family friend, and one of the murals includes their daughter Everdine, whom the restaurant is named after.

“[Everdines] Is a classic mom and pop shop. It’s really high energy and a great place to work. It is very low pressure, but we still have fun and get things done.” Brett Babcock, senior from Waubonsie Valley and employee at Everdine’s said.

The key characteristic in the creation of the restaurant is simple: everything is made from scratch.

“Our soup doesn’t come out of bag,” K. Herkert said. “Everything is prepared. We are literally cutting onions and carrots in the kitchen.”

Everdine’s hires college and high school students from all around Naperville.

“It’s different from other restaurants in Naperville,” Madeleine Chan, a sophomore who works at Everdine’s, said. “It uses a classic ticket writing system and makes sure to be personable with its customers. Downtown Naperville has become very corporate as of late, so it is refreshing to see a nice family owned business in the mix.”  

Photos by Mary Szymanski