Basketball Buzzer Beater

Girls’ Basketball wins close game against Wheaton North

Maya Fenter, Front Page Editor

Video source: Senior Bridget Roth, Vine

Despite being behind for the majority of the game, Naperville Central’s varsity girls’ basketball team managed to pull out a close victory against Wheaton North with a final score of 59-56.

The first three quarters ended with Wheaton North in the lead, and they remained in the lead until the last minute of the fourth quarter. With 40 seconds remaining, Central pulled ahead for the first time in the game 56-54.

This two-point lead, however, would prove itself to be short-lived as Wheaton North tied the score with eight seconds left.

Both teams took a final timeout to prepare for the last seconds of the game.

“In the time-out, we said that we just need to be patient because [Wheaton North’s team] wants us to run fast with them, but if we change the pace of the game and play how we play, then we’ll be fine,” senior Cierra Stanciel said.

The remaining eight seconds of the game began. The ball was in the air as the final buzzer rang and the crowd watched as it sank into the hoop. Central supporters were brought to their feet by freshman Mia Lakstigala’s 3-point basket that broke the tie and gave Central the win 59-56.

This was an especially rewarding game for the team since Wheaton North beat Central last year with a similar last-second shot. Varsity Head Coach Andy Nussbaum was very proud of the girls for earning the win.

“It’s a credit to our girls for just staying in the game,” Nussbaum said. “I couldn’t be happier.”