Battle of the social medias: Facebook

MySpace. Remember that? It has suffered the same fate as the dinosaurs, VHS players and the brick phone: extinction. But MySpace’s extinction was not caused by a meteor, DVDs or common sense, it was caused by Facebook. When launched in 2004, Facebook became incredibly popular on Harvard’s campus, which had exclusive access to it. Since then, its popularity with people around the world has soared like nothing seen before.

It is the ultimate social networking site. It provides the same functionality as all of the other social media sites. Just like users can “follow” celebrities and organizations on Twitter, Facebook users can “like” the same celebrities and organizations and get up-to-the-minute updates about them. Facebook allows users to share photos with their friends and family members just like Instagram. In fact, Facebook owns Instagram. Facebook also allows users to share other users’ posts with their friends and families, just like Tumblr. Furthermore, there’s no need to learn how to manipulate hypertext markup language (HTML) like Tumblr may require.

The best part about Facebook is that it does not limit its users’ experience the same way some of the other social networking sites do. It does not limit posts to 140 characters like Twitter does. It doesn’t require users to post just pictures, like Instagram does.

Facebook does what a social networking site needs to do: it allows users to stay connected to friends and family members, to stay up to date with events in their lives and to manage the groups that they are a member of. Facebook is not just a website to which users can post “selfies” or update their followers every time they exhale, it’s a site devoted to managing life in the 21st century.