Lindsey Sofolo: Earning your privileges

As a freshman, I can specifically remember wanting to fast forward to senior year. Off campus lunch, access to parking spots and the allowance to take any class are desirable privileges that high school seniors hold. Not only are seniors older and more mature, but they have what seems to be the best high school scenario, making senior year even more anticipated.  As much as underclassmen would like to have the same privileges as seniors, the wait makes the reward that much sweeter.

It is unreasonable to give underclassmen any car-related privileges since all freshman and most sophomores don’t even have their licenses yet. Awarding underclassmen with off-campus lunch would result in students walking downtown Naperville and potentially returning to class late. Off campus lunch is something students look forward to all through high school; seniors appreciate it most because they have waited so long for it. Without a car, off campus lunch is pointless.

Also, granting sophomores and juniors the right to priority parking would be unfair. With the amount of students at Central, seniors may be denied the right to a parking spot. Seniors are usually the ones with cars and they should receive priority parking because of this. Seniors with late arrival need parking spots because Hillside would be full by the time they got to school.  Juniors and sophomores who need a parking spot have access to the church spots and Hillside, a system that has worked thus far. After a couple years of early-morning alarms in order to land a spot on Hillside, a senior spot will be that much more appreciated.

The older you get, the more classes you have availability to. Some of the engaging electives are restricted to seniors only. For example, senior foods is only offered to senior students. This class focuses on teaching students how to make basic meals since most will be going off to college the following year. This class would not be beneficial to underclassmen because the information taught is irrelevant to their lives. Also, academically challenging classes are usually left for seniors only. This is because seniors have the necessary preparation for these courses therefore making it easier to excel. A freshman in AP Statistics may suffer academically.

The most desirable senior privileges are late arrival and early dismissal. These options are only available to seniors only because most have completed academic course requirements, leaving empty spots in their schedules. These empty spots can be substituted for a late arrival period or early dismissal.

Seniors are given privileges for a reason. Not only have they earned them, but they make the most sense within our school. Underclassmen should not receive the same rights as seniors; they can earn their privileges just like every other grade has in the past. Good things come to those who wait.