Frozen yogurt review: Yumz

The setup is perfect. Customers start at the back of the store and help themselves to all the frozen yogurt flavors and toppings they want. After working their way forward, they weigh their creation on a scale and pay by the ounce. As a self-serve frozen yogurt store, Yumz offers the possibility of a different creation each time.

Given the self-serve concept, endless yogurt combinations and inviting atmosphere, I had high expectations for the yogurt itself. But after sampling different flavors and being unimpressed with most of them, I resorted to plain old vanilla and chocolate in the end. I was also surprised by the lack of other basic flavors, such as strawberry and blueberry.

They had an oatmeal cookie flavored yogurt, but not a strawberry flavored one?

Luckily, the numerous toppings available helped to make up for the lack of choices in yogurt. I added sprinkles, Oreo pieces, mini marshmallows, crushed candy and chocolate syrup to mine. For anyone who plans to give Yumz a try, I recommend taking full advantage of the many toppings available. They are truly the best part.

If I should get a craving for frozen yogurt, I will probably come back to Yumz. But for a place with such a novel concept and inviting atmosphere, I had expected the yogurt to be a little more impressive than it actually turned out to be.