Infrastructure problems arise after Central’s most recent building renovations

On Jan. 9, a pipe burst prompted a school-wide evacuation, sending staff and students out into 19 degree weather.

“It was freezing and half of the people outside were in short sleeves,” junior Sydney Fabbri observed.

Despite the frigid temperatures, students spent only five minutes outside before returning to class.

In the days leading up to the incident, sub-zero temperatures caused the pipes located above the school’s front entrance to freeze. The thawing pipes were subjected to a draft, causing them to rupture. It wasn’t until the ceiling was surveyed that the draft was discovered.

“With something being boxed in, it’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on,” Central’s facilities manager, Gerry Gebauer, said.

The pipe burst shattered a display case, damaged the drywall and left an inch of water in the front entrance. Gebauer is thankful for the timing of the burst; had it occurred during winter break or a time when maintenance staff wasn’t present, the damage incurred would have been substantially greater. The pipes are now repaired and the sprinkler system is functioning at full capacity.

“The plan is to get in there and insulate it and then re-drywall it and get it painted,” Gebauer said.

The remaining work will be taking place as soon as possible, according to Gebauer.

Being the first major infrastructure problem post-renovation, the burst received local media attention. Since the renovation’s completion, students and staff have brought attention to more aesthetic issues.

A number of self-adjusting chairs no longer adjust, dents have appeared in the drywall in some classrooms and leaks in the roof have caused stains in a few of the ceiling panels. Student Advisory Council even received a couple concerns regarding the unflattering lights in the girls’ bathrooms.

“It’s a high school and there’s a certain amount of abuse a high school is going to take,” Gebauer said. “This school is used by outside groups, by the park district, and it’s good for the community, but the wear and tear on the building is going to be there all the more.”

Over time, even state-of-the-art facilities like Central are going to need repair. Gebauer added that using the correct markers on the dry erase walls and respecting the school itself are easy ways to minimize damage.

“It’s an excellent facility for students to learn, and I hope they respect it and use it properly,” Gebauer added.

Despite the structural and cosmetic issues with the building, it still remains appreciated by both staff and students.

“It makes [the school] an easier place to learn,” junior Gianna Gorzak said.