Two killed, three injured in Naperville house fire

image

Two people were killed and three others injured when a fire spread through a two-story house Wednesday morning at 1212 Field Court on Naperville’s west side, authorities said.

Naperville resident Lee Thomsen identified the victims who were killed to be married couple Tom Lambert, 57, and Jan Lambert, 56, according to the Naperville Sun.

The initial search crew was able to rescue a 21-year-old man who was then transported to Edward Hospital in critical condition.

Two others from inside the house, 84-year-old Tom Lambert and his 56-year-old daughter, Patty Lambert, were also taken to Edward. Their injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

Firefighters were forced to evacuate the building after10 minutes of search and rescue due to concerns that the structure of the building would collapse. The second floor of the house eventually collapsed all the way into the basement, according to the Daily Herald.

The majority of the damage appeared to be in the rear of the home. The cause of the fire is yet to be determined.

Dree Kinder, senior at Naperville North, lives down the street from the site of the house fire. Kinder said that around 6:55 a.m., firefighters arrived at the scene while shewas in her home.

“I was getting ready for school and I heard sirens outside my house,” Kinder said. “Our street was blocked off; there were probably 8 fire trucks in and around the cul-de-sac.”

Kinder feared for the safety of the house’s occupants.

“I saw a ton of black smoke coming up from the house,” Kinder said. “I was nervous because I have a lot of friends living in the neighborhood and I had no idea what was going on or if the people got out of the house.”

The Naperville Fire Department was assisted at the scene by units of the Aurora, Downers Grove, Lisle-Woodridge, Lockport, Plainfield, Warrenville and Winfield Fire Departments.