Central hosts annual Food Fight

Central hosts annual Food Fight

Five years ago, a group of students got together and decided they wanted to make a difference in the world. This year marks the 1,000,000th meal packaged and sent off to places in need by the club, “Food Fight.”

Starting at Central and Naperville North, the club has spread to five other area schools in the past few years. Food Fight urges high-school students to make a difference in the world, specifically by taking steps to end world hunger.

Volunteers can devote time out of their lunch periods or gym classes to pack meals in bags that are sent both overseas and places within the United States.

“[Food Fight] is helping high-schoolers to do something bigger than themselves.” senior Courtney Clinkert said. Clinkert has been a member of Food Fight since her freshman year.

Helpers line tables with bins of rice, dried vegetables, soy and chicken flavoring. The contents are measured and emptied into a clear bag, which is sent down the assembly line of students towards the packing station at the end. There, the bags are sealed and stacked in cardboard boxes to be shipped.

The first day of packing produced 128,000 meals, while the final amount is still being determined.

Many students, including junior participant Elise Rimsa felt grateful for the opportunity to give back.

“A lot of people don’t have the advantages of food that we do, and it makes me feel good when I’m helping other people,” Rimsa said.

Overall, the event was well-received by the students who chose to participate.

“We should definitely have more days like this,” junior participant Kelsey Pajor said.

Despite the long days packaging food, the club is grateful for the support they have felt from students within the school.

“It is through [student’s] support and donations from our fundraisers that we are able to buy the food in the first place,” senior Connor Tobin said.

Food Fight plans to host more packing events in the future. For more information on the club, talk to Mr. Bochenski, humanities teacher.