Central remembers former substitute teacher Nancy Sandercock

On Christmas Eve, four seniors dropped off 30 handwritten letters to the home of Jay Sandercock, a substitute teacher at Central. These letters were words of condolence and appreciation for his wife, the late Nancy Sandercock, who also was a substitute teacher in District 203.
Nancy, 81, passed away on Dec. 19 at St. Patrick’s Residence in Naperville. Senior Ryan Cesario, one of the students who initiated the letter-dropping, said that Nancy is truly missed at Central.
“She would brighten up the classes [she taught],” said Cesario. “When students had her as a sub, their days were instantly made.”
Jay and Nancy were married for 59 years, six of which they spent subbing at Central.
“[Nancy] really loved the students,” said Jay. “She just enjoyed the relationship with the kids.”
Jay said he was very touched by the student letters.
“Those letters were fantastic,” said Jay. “They were outstanding. They were hand-written on sheets of paper. They were so complimentary to my wife. It brought tears to all of our eyes when [my children and I] read them.”
Cesario said that the Sandercocks’ marriage was a great example for the Central community and that Nancy was very loved by everyone in the school.
“They set the standard [with their marriage] and Mr. Sandercock showed what a true gentlemen should be and what true love looks like between a husband and a wife,” said Cesario. “She was the sweetest lady that I have ever met. Her disposition was kind and tender and truly genuine.”
Jay said that he and his family would like to thank the Central community for “the outpouring of support, kind words and thoughtfulness from all the staff and students.” He especially wants to thank Curt and Thomas Parry and the Chorale for their performance at Nancy’s memorial service, which took place at The Compass Church on Jan. 5.