Routine drug search leads to suspension

A routine drug search was conducted at Naperville North on Nov. 19 that left a Naperville resident to believe that more than 40 students arrested, suspended or both after being caught with narcotics on the school’s grounds, according to the Naperville Sun.

Another Naperville resident sent an email to the Naperville Sun saying that “it is possible that a parent of one of the suspended students is a [Naperville School District 203] employee.”

That same resident believes that having one of the suspended student’s parents working in the district may be a reason for why this situation has been silenced for so long.

However, written police records indicate that there were no arrests made on or near the school grounds on Nov. 19.

Police Sgt. Lou Cammiso said this was just a routine drug search.

“It’s just a routine K-9 search they do a couple times a year,” said Cammiso in an interview with the Naperville Sun.

According to Cammiso, the search through the hallways and parking lots accumulated negative results, but parents were notified of the search as a courtesy.

North’s principal has not had any requests to talk about any incidences that may have taken place on Nov. 19, Susan E. Rice, District 203’s director of communications, told the Naperville Sun.

North officials will be holding a parent session in January that will cover how the school deals with all types of discipline issues in hopes of improving parent understanding.