Lindsey Sofolo: 2014 Oscar predictions

Best picture: 12 years a slave

A harsh representation of the American slave trade, 12 Years a Slave hooks the viewer to Solomon Northup (Chiwetel Ejiofor). After being tricked into becoming a slave in the Deep South, Northup suffers brutal violence and separation from his wife and children. Already taking the Golden Globe for best drama and the BAFTA for best film, it is clear that 12 Years a Slave is a favorite among film critics.

Actor in a leading role: Leonardo Dicaprio

Leonardo Dicaprio has been in a number of fantastic filmsincluding Titanic, Inception, Shutter Island, Django Unchained and The Great Gatsby. With all of these great films, Dicaprio has never taken home an Oscar. Not only is it about time LeonardoDicaprio receives recognition for his work, I think he deserves it from his performance in The Wolf of Wall Street.

Actress in a leading role: Cate Blanchett

Since Blue Jasmine came out last July, critics have been all over Cate Blanchett’s performance. Already taking home a Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild prizes, Blanchett should be prepared for a clean sweep among the award shows this year.

Actor in a supporting role: Jared Leto

In Dallas Buyers Club, Jared Leto portrays a transsexual. Dressed as a woman for the film, Leto took on a challenging role and did an amazing job.

Actress in a supporting role: Lupita Nyong’o

Competing with Jennifer Lawrence for an academy award may be intimidating, but it appears that Lupita Nyong’o has this one in the bag. Playing a slave who is constantly raped and abused by her “master” Epps (Michael Fassbender), Nyong’o accurately portrays the suffering of a African American woman involved in the slave trade.

Animated feature film: Frozen

Adored by little girls and moms alike, Frozen has everyone buzzing about the animated film. The soundtrack has reached the iTunes and billboard top ten and the film itself has brought in $981 million. I would be extremely surprised if Frozen did not take the award for animated feature film.