The Second City performance of “Happily Ever Laughter” brings night of comedy, benefits Naperville Education Foundation

District 203 faculty, parents and Naperville community members gathered for a laugh as they watched comedy group, “The Second City,” perform at the annual Yuks for Youth Benefit on the night of Jan. 25. The comedy show was held at Wentz Concert Hall to raise money for the non-profit organization, Naperville Education Foundation (NEF), which funds a variety of grants for educational programs in District 203.

During the show, “Happily Ever Laughter,” the six-cast-member group performed numerous sketches of singing and acting, inserting a few improvisations here and there. The final improvisation even included Naperville Central and North students, who participated in a workshop with “The Second City” earlier in the day, practicing their own improvisation skills with the professionals.

Throughout the show, the sketches mixed in humorous allusions to social issues featuring adults and teenagers and “how things used to be.” Sketches that featured a single girl at a club, a proposal at Chili’s and a first grade art class drawing spider monkeys all provoked non-stop laughing from the audience. In one sketch, member Eddie Mujica even invited down a member of the audience to play his date to his high school prom, which almost ended in a comical brawl between Mujica and his date’s real husband.

The amalgam of audience participation, high school students’ participation and professionals’ extemporaneous skills brought together a laughable night and a successful fundraiser for NEF, raising over $30,000 in ticket sales, raffle and silent auction sales and sponsorships.