Film review: Disney’s “Frozen”

I’ve always liked Disney movies. I think they’re cute and well-done and funny and it’s never really crossed my mind that they’re too childish for me.

“Frozen” was no exception, and in fact, I thought it was one of the best Disney movies I’ve ever seen.

The plot surrounds two princesses; Elsa, the older sister, who has magical powers to freeze anything she touches, and Anna, who is oblivious to Elsa’s powers after an accident when they were young. Due to the fear of Elsa’s powers being made known, they live a secluded life, except for the day of Elsa’s coronation. In a fit of angry emotion, Elsa accidentally freezes their whole town and flees to the mountains. In order to bring summer back to their land, Anna follows Elsa and enlists the help of ice-seller Kristoff, his pet reindeer and a friendly snowman named Olaf.

The tale is charming and I’m not exaggerating in the least when I say “Frozen” made me both laugh out loud and cry.

There were a few random musical pieces that the movie could have stood without, but it’s a Disney movie, so that’s nothing unexpected. And for the most part, the songs were catchy and even highly amusing. (Not to mention some of the songs were a throwback because Indina Menzel, the voice of Elsa, played Alphaba in the musical “Wicked.” I had about every song from that play memorized in fourth grade.)

The characters were also endearing and memorable, especially Olaf, the naïve but hardworking snowman, and Kristoff, the cynical ice-seller.

Overall, “Frozen” was the best movie I’ve seen in a while, and definitely something I recommend.