Album review: “Bad Blood” by Bastille

The British invasion of the ‘60s may be bringing a comeback to the United States in these recent years. Although initially released in England, Bastille, a British alternative rock band, just released their first album, “Bad Blood” in America as well. Formerly a solo attempt of Dan Smith, lead singer and songwriter, Smith joined together this quartet indie band in 2010 to deliver its debut album three years later.

Bastille does not disappoint though in its diverse instrumentals and raw lyrics. Although many critics scolded the band for following the “standard ‘indie’ trend,” others praise the album for its deep, story-like lyrics.

An underlying theme of destruction and hardship is portrayed through sinister tales told in the lyrics, especially in the leading songs of “Pompeii” and “Things We Lost in the Fire,” despite the relaxing, calming beat that holds steady through all the tracks.

Fictional stories of mysterious murders and inspiring hopes reflect the bright and dark persona of the band, skillfully drawing out optimistic and caustic reactions from listeners.

The menacing tales combined with ’80s inspired melodies are delivered from a variety of instrumentals, such as keyboard and guitar, and are especially exemplified in “Oblivion” showcasing Smith’s soft, gauche voice on this piano-based record.

Two distinct tracks place a unique twist on the album. One of Bastille’s regular tracks, “Weight of Living, Pt. II,” is followed up in a bonus track, “Weight of Living, Pt. I,” in a peculiar reversed sequel.

Although the two songs differ in pace and lyrics, the progressive story behind Pt. I explains the relationship between the tracks. In Pt. II, the lyrics illustrate the troubles of a young adult, but these dark thoughts are soon discouraged when the uplifting, metaphorical message behind “Weight of Living, Pt. I” encourages to “let [your albatross] go” and “shoot it down when you just can’t shake off the weight of living.”

Some may criticize Bastille’s predictable indie-styled album or the bland instrumentals, but Smith’s raw lyrics are the real cause that illuminates the entire persona of the band so exquisitely. His lyrics have the substance and meaning behind each word that distinguish this band effortlessly from mainstream pop artists.

“Bad Blood” is just the beginning for this fresh band. Bastille’s first album gives them a firm opening to a successful road ahead.