Song review: Eminem’s new single “Rap God”

Eminem takes to the stage once again in his latest single, “Rap God.” The usual balance of Eminem’s self-praise and controversial lyrics is evident as always, but what separates Eminem in this single is his speedy delivery. Speedy is actually an understatement. At one point in the song, Eminem raps 97 words in 15 seconds, averaging 6.5 words per second. It would be appropriate to bust out rap jargon in this case and say he is “spitting fire.” In fact, Eminem refers to that speedy verse as his depiction of “supersonic speed.”

Similar to the lyrics of one of Eminem’s past hits, “Til’ I Collapse,” the lyrics of this single poke fun at other rappers in the industry and exhibit a bit of Eminem’s envy of them. Still, his jealousy is short-lived as he continues by declaring, “Basically boy you’re never gonna be capable / To keeping up with the same pace looking boy,” which essentially challenges the ability of all the other rappers in the business.

I’m not too confident I can express what this song makes me feel in words, but I am confident Eminem’s self-proclaimed title of rap god is fitting enough. “Rap God” is definitely worthy of a listen, and if you’re anything like me, you’ll soon have it on repeat. So you better believe Shady’s back, and he’s not about disappoint in his upcoming album “The Marshall Mathers LP 2”, so be sure to tell a friend.