Film review: “Warm Bodies”

I didn’t want to see this movie. I didn’t think it looked funny, the plot didn’t interest me too much and the love line didn’t seem appealing.

But my sister was paying and driving and I had nothing better to do that day, so why not, right?

And I have to say, it surpassed almost all of my expectations.

“Warm Bodies” stars Nicholas Hoult as “R,” the zombie form of a young teenage boy who falls in love with Julie (Teresa Palmer) after an unfortunate meeting between Julie’s group of humans scavenging for supplies and a pack of zombies looking for food.

R is infatuated with Julie, so after eating her dead boyfriend’s brains and gaining the memories he had of their relationship together, R saves Julie from being eaten herself and stows her away in the airplane he occupies with all of his collected trinkets.

The story is told from R’s perspective, with him narrating his thoughts for the beginning of the movie, because zombies can’t talk. So while the dialogue is a bit lacking, it gets better with time as R fights his walking dead tendencies and begins forming words to communicate with Julie.

But then Julie escapes and gets back to the walled city she calls her home, back to her best friend Nora and her dad, who runs the city.

Not all the infected are as sweet as R is in this post-apocalyptic world, because once a human has been dead for too long, they turn into a Bony. Bonies are even more heartless than the other zombies and eat anything within reach with zero sympathies.

And now they’re trying to find a way into the city.

“Warm Bodies” surpassed my expectations greatly in the humor sense. R is endearingly awkward and Nora is witty and cute for the minor parts she plays.

There are a few loopholes in the love line, because who falls in love with the zombie she’s known for three days when they can’t even communicate? But the loose “Romeo and Juliet” adaption is still heart-warming and funny, in the upwards of an 8/10.