Claire Savard: Central Times’ Athlete of the Year

Kendall Olsen, Staff Photographer

Claire Savard has cartwheeled, spiked, jumped and ran her way through four years of high school and most of her life. Savard, The Central Times’ Female Athlete of the Year, has participated in gymnastics since the age of five, played volleyball for three years and joined the track team this past year. Savard is a varsity athlete, competing with Central’s Varsity Gymnastics team for four years and the Varsity Track team for one year.

Along with her participation in athletics, Savard is also very involved with the non-athletic community both inside and outside of Central. Savard has been a member of the Red Rage Pep Club and the JKB leadership program since sophomore year. She is also a part of both the National Honors Society and the Spanish Honors Society. In her free time at Central, she enjoys volunteering in the special needs classroom.

Savard knows that it takes more than just playing a sport to be an Athlete of the Year.

“To me, a good athlete is not necessarily someone who is the best at a sport,” said Savard, “[It’s] someone who works the hardest and tries their best in every practice and meet. [They] also need to have a strong mindset and motivate their teammates at all times.”

While Savard is armed with her mind, strength and talent, she also has a few “must-haves” for her meets and games: grips, floor music, hairspray, bobby pins, knee pads, spandex, spikes, Band-Aids, ibuprofen and much more. However, Savard’s sports are more than just items to check off a list.

“I would definitely not be the person I am today without my sports and activities,” said Savard, “They have taught me how to work through many different situations and fears. I learned a lot about cooperation and hard work in sports, and my activities have taught me to be humble, patient and how to help others.”