Winter Guard performs with spirit

This is an extended version of what was published in the March edition of the Central Times.

Gloria Korpas, Editor-in-Chief

The 25 girls of Naperville Central’s Winter Guard team stand on the tarp, anticipating their opening musical cue. When the first note rings out, they dance and twirl their props, tossing flags, rifles and sabers to create images in the air. The team recently performed at Central’s 2015 Winter Assembly with an ease and precision gained only from hours of rigorous practice.

Jordan Klespitz, junior captain along with Gina Pardun, explains that the team rehearses three times a week for many hours, including the weekends. In fact, the longest practice comes on Saturdays, when the team is at Central for most of the day.

“[Practice time] varies on the weekend, but usually it’s 9 A.M. to 3 P.M.,” Klespitz said. “This past weekend we did a 1-9, and two weekends ago we did a 9-5. Sometimes, you know, I want to sleep! But guard is more important to me than sleeping at this point, so I don’t really mind it, as long as I get to go do what I enjoy.”

These extended practices help the team clean the routine for the competitions. This year, Winter Guard will be competing at approximately eight competitions in the Scholastic A level in two different circuits: Winter Guard International (WGI) and the MidWest Color Guard Circuit.

Through the WGI circuit, the team competes at Worlds, held in Dayton, Ohio every year. Though the team does not compete against the international teams, the experience is one the members love, according to Senior Captain Corrine Conway.

“It’s amazing, we’re in these big giant arenas, and we stay in hotels (which is always fun),” Conway said. “The atmosphere is very energetic. Everyone just loves Color Guard so much and they’re there for the same reason you are. It’s great.”

Conway has fond memories from the competitions. One that she will always remember relates to her Winter Guard coach, Chuck Cummins. Cummins does not work at Central and was hired to coach the Winter Guard team.

“We performed so well at Worlds that we made our coach cry, and he shows no emotion whatsoever,” Conway said. “So the fact that we made him that happy made it so rewarding.”

Through the MidWest Color Guard Circuit, Central’s team competes in shows in the Midwest region between January and April. On Feb. 8, the Winter Guard performed at the Lincoln-Way East Show and placed fifth.

Though Conway and Klespitz say there are no requirements to join the team, there are auditions open to all students, creating a team where all grades are represented. Klespitz found this to be one of the best qualities of the team when she was younger.

“When I was a freshman it was beneficial because there was always people there that I could learn from,” Klespitz said.

As a senior, Conway likes to help out her younger teammates.

“It’s fun teaching them, and seeing how they start and knowing that they’re going to get better,” Conway said. “Once they finally get it, it’s like yay!”

No matter the age difference, this is a close-knit team.

“It’s like having a team of 24 sisters with me,” Klespitz said. “You know how it is with siblings: sometimes you can get annoyed with each other but at the end of the day you really love and care about each other and you know they will have your back.”