Orchesis presents ninth annual Naperville Dance Showcase

As the ninth annual Naperville Dance Showcase looms closer, Central’s Orchesis dance team is gearing up to perform in the eight-team invitational in Central’s auditorium on Feb. 16 at 4:30 p.m.

The schools performing are Naperville North, Waubansie Valley, Metea Valley, Stevenson, Rolling Meadows, Plainfield Central and Niles North.

“The schools are invited to bring up to four dances,” Orchesis coach Lindsay Swanson said. “This year [Central] will be performing three most like. [Since] most of the schools that have got back to me are bringing four [dances], I’m planning on having around 25 pieces.”

Unlike most dance competitions Orchesis participates in, the Naperville Dance Showcase is not a competitive event but an opportunity to cheer each other on.

“What’s unique about [the showcase] is that it’s not a competition,” Swanson said. “And it’s strictly loyal Orchesis teams, not including junior high teams, dance studios or any other school dance programs.”

Tickets to the Naperville Dance Showcase are $5 and can be purchased at the auditorium doors starting at 4 p.m. on the day of the show.

Senior Orchesis captain Carly Randolph is looking forward to the performance, as it is the first chance for Orchesis to showcase their talent at Central, aside from the school assemblies.

“People should come because they only see Orchesis perform at assemblies and that’s not all we can do,” Randolph said. “The other schools usually have a lot of support from their schools, so it would be really nice to have some Naperville Central students in the audience!”