Support Us
$50
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of the Central Times by helping to fund their monthly print issues.

Recent Tweets
Instagram posts
Weather Central

• 4 PM
    71 °
  • 5 PM
    71 °
  • 6 PM
    70 °
  • 7 PM
    68 °
  • 8 PM
    67 °
  • 9 PM
    65 °
  • 10 PM
    64 °
  • 11 PM
    63 °
  • 12 AM
    63 °
  • 1 AM
    63 °
  • 2 AM
    63 °
  • 3 AM
    63 °
  • 4 AM
    63 °
  • 5 AM
    63 °
  • 6 AM
    63 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    65 °
  • 10 AM
    65 °
  • 11 AM
    66 °
  • 12 PM
    66 °
  • 1 PM
    65 °
  • 2 PM
    64 °
  • 3 PM
    63 °
  • 4 PM
    64 °
April 27
72°/ 59°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
66°/ 55°
Heavy rain
April 29
71°/ 55°
Moderate rain

Humans of Central: Mary Wilkerson

“I’ve been a baker my entire life.

I was in Girl Scouts and 4-H [youth organization]. [I grew] up in a farming community—a little town called Abingdon in downstate [Illinois]. I learned how to bake mostly in 4-H and [then] competed at a lot of state and county fairs. My family is Swedish and my grandmother was a big baker. A Swedish Christmas tradition is that you have a huge sweets table with lots of cookies, and so I grew up baking with my grandmother and doing those kinds of things for Christmas and Easter.

Mary Wilkerson has baked sea creature cookies for her grandson and other cookies for her colleagues’ children.  (Photo courtesy of Mary Wilkerson)

I’m a little bit known in the communications and social studies departments for my cookies and my pies. [During] Christmas [of 2020], we were still [in remote learning.] There was just really low morale between the people in my department, and we missed celebrating things together. So for Christmas, I baked a whole bunch of Christmas cookies and winter themed cookies for my colleagues.

I like the feeling I get when I bake for other people and share. I feel like it’s one of my gifts. It’s something I’m good at and it’s relaxing to me. I like sharing, and people always appreciate when I share with them.

When I retire, I plan to have a little side business of baking cookies [called] Grandma Mary’s Cookies.”