Science teacher Paige Lundquist leads her third period Honors Biology class on May 10.
D203 Board of Education approves major changes to science course pathway
Nolan Shen, Arts & Entertainment Editor • May 23, 2024
One of the photos taken by senior Tomi Bounphisai of R41N during this years Centrals Got Talent show.
Senior snaps singing, dancing and prom: “I just enjoy watching their vision come alive”
Selah Lee, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
Sophomores Lilly Jia (far left) and Audrey Cheng (left) instruct competitors at Clover Math’s elementary and middle school math competition, hosted at Central on April 26. Clover Math is an organization founded by four District 203 juniors.
Student-led math organization hosts competition
C.J. Getting, Operations Managing Editor • May 21, 2024
From left to right, Robert Zoellick, Dr. Catherine Adrian DeRidder, Matt DiCianni and Ben Hutchison pose after becoming Central’s newest Distinguished Alumni at a ceremony on May 3.
Central inducts four new distinguished alumni in 25th annual ceremony
C.J. Getting, Operations Managing Editor • May 20, 2024
View All
Support Us
$50
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of the Central Times by helping to fund their monthly print issues.

Recent Tweets
Instagram posts
Weather Central

• 8 PM
    61 °
  • 9 PM
    59 °
  • 10 PM
    58 °
  • 11 PM
    56 °
  • 12 AM
    55 °
  • 1 AM
    54 °
  • 2 AM
    53 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    51 °
  • 6 AM
    52 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    57 °
  • 9 AM
    60 °
  • 10 AM
    62 °
  • 11 AM
    64 °
  • 12 PM
    66 °
  • 1 PM
    66 °
  • 2 PM
    66 °
  • 3 PM
    66 °
  • 4 PM
    65 °
  • 5 PM
    64 °
  • 6 PM
    62 °
  • 7 PM
    59 °
  • 8 PM
    57 °
May 27
68°/ 54°
Patchy rain nearby
May 28
67°/ 51°
Moderate rain
May 29
68°/ 48°
Partly Cloudy

Opinion: If you wear Crocs, you deserve to fall

Adeline Tse

Crocs are the worst shoes to ever exist. 

They’re shapeless, noisy and, quite frankly, ugly. These qualities should be the opposite of what you look for in footwear, but half our school population still chooses to wear Crocs. Their persistent popularity appalls me. I thought they would die out quickly after their 2020 resurgence, but clearly, that has not happened yet. 

Sure, they’re low effort and low maintenance, but I would rather take the extra minute out of my day lacing up stylish and functional shoes than wear what is essentially a hollow blob of plastic on my feet. 

Now, some Croc fanatics might argue they’re not plastic and as a result would be better for the environment.

I hear you. According to Crocs, crocs are made of a trademarked material, Croslite. This may lead you to believe that crocs are good for the environment, but according to goodonyou.eco, Crocs “[do] not use eco-friendly materials,” and scienceline.org says “the shoes will eventually end up in a landfill, and bio-based doesn’t necessarily mean biodegradable.” 

Eco fiends, you heard it here. They are not biodegradable, so let’s stop letting them degrade our fashion. 

Not only are they bad for the environment, they’re bad for humans too. Even in “sport mode,” Crocs aren’t going to save you from foot problems or a stern talking to from the PE teacher. In fact, they actually can make foot problems worse. According to anklefootmd.com, Crocs lack ankle, arch and heel support. They’re unstable and make you prone to tripping. 

Crocs don’t love you back. They won’t be there for you when you fall down the express stairs or when you’re parking on Hillside in the rain. It’s time to cut them out of our lives. 

Lastly…the dreaded “Croc tan” as a result of the horrendous holes in the Crocs. I have recurring nightmares about it. When I’m supposed to be enjoying my summer away from tests and homework, I am battered by the traumatizing sight of half-tanned feet dotted with dark polka-dots. 

I thought measles were eradicated, but “Croc-pox” should be the next thing WHO has to look out for. Let’s hope it’s not another pandemic. 

Hopefully, fall will bring temperatures that will eradicate these abominations from my sight. But until the Croc-lovers come to their senses, I will never escape.