Upcoming U.S. House elections heavily contested

Jay Deegan, Editorial Editor

Elections for the U.S. House of Representatives will take place on Nov. 8. Naperville District 203 has three Congressional Districts within its boundaries: Illinois’s 6th, 11th and 14th congressional districts.

In the 11th District, incumbent Bill Foster (D) is running for re-election against Catalina Lauf (R). Most of District 203 is inside the 11th district.

Foster started Electronic Theatre Controls, a theater lighting equipment manufacturer when he was 19. He then went on to work for 25 years at Fermilab National Accelerator Laboratory before being elected to Congress. “I believe that the decision to have an abortion is best left as a private decision between a woman and her doctor, not by politicians and the government,” according to his website.

Prior to running for office, Lauf worked in the private sector and now is employed at a start-up. She was appointed as an advisor in the U.S. Department of Commerce in 2018.

Lauf believes that America “must foster a pro-growth economic environment where businesses and workers of all levels can thrive with minimal government intrusion,” according to her website.

In the 6th District, incumbent Sean Casten (D) is running for re-election against Keith Pekau (R). The 6th district includes some of the northern area of 203’s boundaries.

Prior to being elected, Casten worked as a clean energy consultant as well as the CEO of the Turbosteam Corporation. Casten has “dedicated his life to fighting climate change,” according to his website.

Pekau began his professional career in the Air Force, logging over 1500 hours in flight. After leaving the military, he founded GroundsKeeper Landscape Care, a landscaping and tree service company. In 2017, he ran for Mayor of Orland Park and was elected to the position. Pekau believes that America needs “to stop spending more than [it brings] in, lower taxes, and address the national debt,” according to his website.

In the 14th district, incumbent Lauren Underwood (D) is running for re-election against Scott Gryder (R). District 203’s western areas are within the 11th district’s boundaries.

Prior to being elected to congress in 2018, Underwood served as a senior advisor in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. She graduated from Neuqua Valley High school. 

“As a registered nurse, public health expert and a woman with a pre-existing heart condition, Lauren’s number one priority in Congress is ensuring access to high-quality, affordable health care,” according to her website

Gryder graduated Law School and holds a law license in Illinois. He currently works as President of Commercial Services and Senior Counsel at Near North Title Group. 

Gryder “stand[s] with the men and women of law enforcement who protect and serve our communities every day.  At a time when radical politicians are calling to defund the police, it’s important we support our law enforcement officers,” according to his website.