English teacher’s love of learning evident in postgraduate studies

Jeremy+Lin

Noah Rozek

Jeremy Lin

Nolan Shen, Correspondent

Jeremy Lin is a Communication Arts teacher at Naperville Central who is currently pursuing an Educational Doctorate focusing on educational policy and leadership. 

“The specific focus is ‘new learning,’ which combines educational theory, technology and trending movements in education,” Lin said. 

He previously graduated from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign with an undergraduate degree in English and a minor in secondary education. He later got a master’s degree in linguistics from Benedictine University.

Lin said he chose to pursue this educational advancement because it gives him better knowledge of teaching as well as more flexibility when it comes to future career plans. 

He has been working on this degree for two years and has another two to go. For Lin, balancing doctoral studies, teaching at Naperville Central, coaching the speech team as well as teaching at Benedictine University has caused a lot of late nights. To help with this, Lin schedules specific times in the day for doctorate work.

“I try to set aside some time, specifically for [studying], and then I kind of keep myself regulated,” Lin said.

Lin’s final reason for pursuing his doctorate is his love for learning.

“It’s always nice to continue learning, regardless of where you are in your life. I think that’s something that I’d like to continue doing even after I’ve finished this degree.”