Central Retirees: Rogers

Prem Chandrasekar, Staff Writer

Q: How long have you been a counselor at Central? Did you ever teach?

A: I started in 1990.

Q: Can you describe what it’s like being a counselor at Central?

A: Some days are real hectic. You have to have the ability to be flexible and run with it because you don’t know what your day’s going to look like, even though you have certain scheduled things. It could look totally different. So I would say probably the one thing you have to be is open to new things and to be flexible. My day can consist of meeting individually with students, it could be doing it with groups of students who could be testing. It could be researching careers. It could be reviewing grades. You’d be meeting with the dean and the student or have parent meetings so there are a lot of different things.

Q: What has this school done for you?

A: I think it’s made me a better person in general. It’s made me a better counselor. I feel like the staff here is so supportive. I feel really lucky to have worked here. I feel honestly I worked with some of the best teachers in the country. Really I do. I think that there is so much support within the building. I’ve learned that I’ve grown because of the opportunities that were available to me as a counselor. I got the opportunity to work with some outstanding people throughout my career.

Q: What’s your favorite memory?

A: I would say the most memorable times are when my seniors are about ready to graduate and really getting to reflect back on their four years. I really get the opportunity to know them as a person.

Q: What are your future plans after retiring?

A: I am a disaster responder. I’m a licensed ordained chaplain who is a disaster responder. I’m hoping to work with one of the police departments as a police chaplain part time and do disaster responding and then just enjoying my family.

Q: What are you going to miss most about Central?

A: I’m going to miss the kids, the students and the staff.