Sophomores Lilly Jia (far left) and Audrey Cheng (left) instruct competitors at Clover Math’s elementary and middle school math competition, hosted at Central on April 26. Clover Math is an organization founded by four District 203 juniors.
Student-led math organization hosts competition
C.J. Getting, Operations Managing Editor • May 21, 2024
From left to right, Robert Zoellick, Dr. Catherine Adrian DeRidder, Matt DiCianni and Ben Hutchison pose after becoming Central’s newest Distinguished Alumni at a ceremony on May 3.
Central inducts four new distinguished alumni in 25th annual ceremony
C.J. Getting, Operations Managing Editor • May 20, 2024
Senior Jake Pfeiffer and his mom, Principal Jackie Thornton, walk in Centrals honor garden on May 15. The two will share one last experience at Central when Pfeiffer walks across the graduation stage on May 19.
Central’s Principal experiences graduation from a new lens: parenthood
Jay Deegan, Print Managing Editor • May 19, 2024
76% of weighted Career and Technical Education course enrollment is male. Heres why.
76% of weighted Career and Technical Education course enrollment is male. Here's why.
Javen Oswald, Marketing, Outreach and Engagement Managing Editor • May 17, 2024
View All
$50
$500

79 °
    77 °
    75 °
    73 °
    71 °
    69 °
    66 °
    62 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    61 °
    63 °
    65 °
    67 °
    68 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    67 °
    65 °
May 21
85°/ 61°
May 22
71°/ 54°
Partly Cloudy
May 23
75°/ 54°
Sunny

Central graduate returns to promote new TV series: ‘Desert Doc’

Keith Carlson
Dr. Sudip Bose talks to students in the Little Theater on April 22. Bose is a Central graduate and worked as a military medic in Iraq.

Dr. Sudip Bose, a Central graduate and frontline doctor during the Iraq war, returned to Central to share his experiences and promote his new TV series, “Desert Doc,” to students on April 22. Students had the opportunity to view the series and discuss Bose’s experiences as a doctor in war and at home.

“Desert Doc” follows Bose’s work at Medical Center Hospital in Odessa, Texas, a high-level trauma center. The series was released earlier this year on Amazon prime.

The event was organized by Central’s Veterans Club and attended by its members as well as any students who were interested in hearing him speak.

“Dr. Bose reached out with exciting news that the filming that was taking place over the past years came to fruition,” said Nicole Figi, a Veterans Club sponsor and event coordinator. “[Bose] was hoping to share the message of ‘Desert Doc’ specifically with students from Central.”

Earlier this year, Bose visited Central to speak at the Veterans Day assembly with a focus on his work in Iraq. 

“Before, when [Bose] came [to Central], it was geared towards Veterans Day recognition,” Figi said. “This time, it is really more towards students who may be interested in the medical field.”

One of Bose’s main messages to his audience was his goal of helping people take control of their mental and physical toughness.

Education is the keyword. What we can do is help people understand so they make the best decisions.”

— Dr. Sudip Bose, Central graduate and former military medic

“My dream for the world pertains to health care,” Bose said. “We can’t fix our healthcare system without taking control of our own health. Education is the keyword. What we can do is help people understand so they make the best decisions.” 

Dr. Bose believes in the importance of returning to Central to share these messages and inspire students each time he returns. 

“It’s always great to come back to Central,” Bose said. “I am hoping that I can inspire students to go beyond what scares them. Courage is not the absence of fear, it’s just knowing there’s something greater.” 

View Comments (1)
About the Contributors
Evelyn Zwicky
Evelyn Zwicky, Online Managing Editor & Sports Editor
Evelyn Zwicky is a senior at Naperville Central. This is her second year on Central Times and she enjoys reporting on sporting events the most. Outside of Central Times, she is a lacrosse goalie and plays for Central’s team.
Keith Carlson, Adviser
$50
$500

• W

Wallace DunnMay 8, 2024 at 12:01 pm

I work with Dr. Bose at Medical Center Hospital in Odessa, TX. He is a treasure to our community and we are blessed to have him serving in our area. The movie Desert Doc is fantastic and I encourage all of you to watch it and share it.

Reply