Support Us
$50
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of the Central Times by helping to fund their monthly print issues.

Recent Tweets
Instagram posts
Weather Central

• 3 AM
    61 °
  • 4 AM
    61 °
  • 5 AM
    61 °
  • 6 AM
    62 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    65 °
  • 10 AM
    66 °
  • 11 AM
    66 °
  • 12 PM
    67 °
  • 1 PM
    69 °
  • 2 PM
    70 °
  • 3 PM
    71 °
  • 4 PM
    71 °
  • 5 PM
    71 °
  • 6 PM
    71 °
  • 7 PM
    68 °
  • 8 PM
    66 °
  • 9 PM
    65 °
  • 10 PM
    64 °
  • 11 PM
    64 °
  • 12 AM
    63 °
  • 1 AM
    63 °
  • 2 AM
    63 °
  • 3 AM
    63 °
April 27
72°/ 59°
Moderate rain
April 28
70°/ 62°
Moderate rain
April 29
67°/ 57°
Patchy rain nearby

‘Class Feud’ becomes latest replacement to ‘Mr. NCHS’ pageant to be canceled

Thom Blair
Contestants in the 2019 “Mr. NCHS” competition await the announcement of a winner. Class Feud and Dynamic Duos, both aimed to replace Mr. NCHS, were cancelled due to a lack of participation.

Central’s Student Advisory Council (SAC) officially canceled all plans for the Dynamic Duos and Class Feud competitions after receiving low sign-ups. 

Dynamic Duos was intended to act as a replacement for Mr. NCHS, a competition held at Central for almost 30 years, starting in 1992. The show was canceled in 2021 due to COVID-19 restrictions, then again in 2022 and 2023 after low sign-ups.

“We decided that we’re not just going to try to pull together an activity at the last minute,” SAC Vice President Emerson Fatzinger said. “Something like that takes a lot of time and a lot of production, and we didn’t really have enough time to advertise it.”

Duos was scrapped after low sign-ups, with SAC shifting to holding Class Feud, a competition based on “Family Feud.” This process included collaboration with Sam Szopinski, Central’s Dean of Student Activities.

“Class Feud was a recommendation by Szopinski,” Fatzinger said. “We were just trying to generate ideas that would create more interest, and while it did create a little bit more, it just wasn’t enough to have like a full production.”

Now, SAC has pivoted back to the original plan for Dynamic Duos. However, they have delayed the event to the 2024-2025 school year in order to give adequate time for planning and promotion.

“We decided that we’re going to stick with Dynamic Duos because that was our initial idea that we really liked,” Fatzinger said. “[This year], we’re going to put together a committee [of sophomores and juniors] that can carry this on to the next year. And they can have about a year now to plan more ideas, just find more opportunities to get it out there.”

The cancellation of Mr. NCHS forced a reset in Central’s events and activities. Mr. NCHS went on for almost three decades without issues with sign-ups before struggling in a post-COVID-19 world. 

“I think Mr. NCHS was a success because everybody wanted to be involved in it,” Fatzinger said. “So if we could just create a lot of excitement [around Dynamic Duos], and get as much involvement as possible, then eventually the hype around it will start to build up.”