$50
$500

62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    69 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    68 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    63 °
    63 °
    63 °
    63 °
    62 °
    62 °
    62 °
April 27
72°/ 59°
April 28
70°/ 62°
April 29
67°/ 57°
Patchy rain nearby

Central Times Editor-in-Chief named Illinois Journalist of the Year

Jake+Pfeiffer+was+named+the+Illinois+Journalist+of+the+year+on+Feb.+23.+
Jay Deegan
Jake Pfeiffer was named the Illinois Journalist of the year on Feb. 23.

Central Times Editor-in-Chief Jake Pfeiffer was named Illinois Journalist of the Year by the Illinois Journalism Education Association (IJEA) on Feb. 23.

Pfeiffer will go on to compete for the national Journalist of the Year award.

Candidates for Illinois Journalist of the Year submit a portfolio that spans the work of their high school journalism career, including samples of writing, photography, design and other journalistic work. As Illinois’ winner, Pfeiffer will now compete for scholarships against the winners of other states in a national competition sponsored by the Journalism Education Association.

Pfeiffer initially learned about his eligibility for this award in late January in his Blended Advanced Media Lab class.

“I thought there’s still a benefit in [creating a portfolio] even if [I didn’t] win so I just kind of figured like it’d be a fun thing to do, and then maybe I’d win, and I did,” Pfeiffer said.

Keith Carlson, Central Times faculty adviser and president of IJEA, supported Pfeiffer throughout this process.

“Just to apply requires a daunting amount of work, so much so that it’s tough to get students to even apply for consideration,” Carlson said. “You almost have to apply with the mindset that you’re doing it for yourself as a sort of resume or archiving activity. I wasn’t surprised that Jake was willing to make the effort and I knew that he had the credentials to be competitive. But it was still a thrill to hear that IJEA saw in Jake what I saw.”

View Comments (1)
About the Contributors
Javen Oswald
Javen Oswald, Marketing, Outreach and Engagement Managing Editor
Javen Oswald is a senior at NCHS. This is his third year on staff, and he has moved into a manager position. Early in life, Javen found success as a child actor, gaining recognition for his role as Young Jordan Denton in Chicago Fire S2 E12, entitled “Disco Bob.” Now, he has shifted his focus to producing high-quality journalistic opinions. Next year, he plans on going to college to study film.
Jay Deegan
Jay Deegan, Print Managing Editor
Jay Deegan is a Junior at Central and happy to start his third year of journalistic adventures at the Central Times. Jay loves writing features and diving in-depth into issues that plague our community. In his free time Jay runs a freelance videography and photography business and loves to creatively express his interests in sports and filmmaking. If you’d like to join CT or have a tip, reach out!
$50
$500

• M

Megatron GriffinMar 5, 2024 at 12:10 pm

Wow Jake! You’ve done such a great job leading this publication. Love you lots, XOXO. ~ Your secret admirer

Reply