Ellen Purl, pictured in 2023. Photo Credit: Flight Yearbook
Junior becomes first Central girl wrestler to make state tournament
Evelyn Zwicky, Online Managing Editor • March 4, 2024
Jake Pfeiffer was named the Illinois Journalist of the year on Feb. 23.
Central Times Editor-in-Chief named Illinois Journalist of the Year
Javen Oswald, Marketing, Outreach and Engagement Managing Editor • February 28, 2024
Opinion: A (Barnes and) Noble solution for downtown
Nolan Shen, Arts & Entertainment Editor • February 27, 2024
A Naperville Central swimmer races the backstroke at last years IHSA state championship.
Pushing past the limit: Overtraining at Central and beyond
Nolan Shen, Arts and Entertainment Editor • February 23, 2024
View All
Support Us
$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of the Central Times by helping to fund their monthly print issues.

Recent Tweets
Instagram posts
Weather Central

• 9 PM
    63 °
  • 10 PM
    61 °
  • 11 PM
    60 °
  • 12 AM
    57 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    50 °
  • 3 AM
    47 °
  • 4 AM
    46 °
  • 5 AM
    45 °
  • 6 AM
    44 °
  • 7 AM
    44 °
  • 8 AM
    43 °
  • 9 AM
    43 °
  • 10 AM
    43 °
  • 11 AM
    43 °
  • 12 PM
    43 °
  • 1 PM
    45 °
  • 2 PM
    46 °
  • 3 PM
    47 °
  • 4 PM
    47 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    41 °
  • 9 PM
    40 °
March 4
74°/ 53°
Moderate rain
March 5
48°/ 39°
Moderate rain
March 6
48°/ 35°
Sunny

District 203 English Learner and middle school elective programs to be ‘reimagined’ after Board of Education vote

Jayne Willard, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, explains the changes to Exploratory classes at the Dec. 18 Board of Education meeting. (Photo Credit: District 203)

The Naperville 203 Board of Education passed multiple changes to District 203 programs at their meeting on Dec. 18. The changes were first recommended during their Dec. 4 meeting and will go into effect during the 2025-26 school year.

The changes include “a reimagined junior high elective course structure” and the expansion of “[English Learner] programs at all of the district’s junior highs and high schools,” according to District 203 press releases.

Instead of choosing a foreign language or exploratory courses for 7th and 8th grade, the revamped Junior High elective curriculum will restrict Spanish and French (WCL) into more rigorous, single-year courses during 8th grade. In 7th grade, students will continue their 6th grade exploratories curriculum.

“We want to provide students with more opportunities to participate in relevant college and career exploratory options,” Superintendent Dan Bridges said in a press release. “This comprehensive approach reflects our dedication to providing our students with a menu of options and opportunities for academic success and a seamless transition to postsecondary education.”

The change also comes with two new coding courses. In 6th grade, students can elect to take Computer Science for Innovators & Makers, which is taught by Project Lead the Way (PLTW) teachers. In 7th grade, they can take the Code Explorers course, which will be taught by either learning commons staff or current WCL teachers. 

Certified WCL teachers may also teach new EL courses, which will become available at all junior high schools during the 2024-25 school year for 6th grade students before being fully implemented through the 2026-27 school year.

According to a District 203 press release, the number of EL-eligible students has increased by 77% in the past 10 years. Meanwhile, 30% of families who would have to switch schools have refused services at the junior high and high school levels, with many citing long bus rides, distance from home and separation from neighborhood friends.

“These changes will provide our students with opportunities to excel, both academically and culturally, in environments where they feel a connection to their neighborhood peers,” Bridges said in a press release. “These changes bring us closer to providing equitable educational experiences for all students, and align with our innovative vision for student learning.”

For more on the changes, read here. The Central Times will continue to cover the EL and WCL changes in upcoming months, so stay tuned for more.