$50
$500

66 °
    68 °
    69 °
    70 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    60 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
April 28
71°/ 62°
Heavy rain
April 29
69°/ 52°
April 30
70°/ 46°
Sunny

Fire alarm at Central triggered by smoke in Little Theater

Jay Deegan
Firefighters exit Central’s Little Theater after investigating a possible fire on Oct. 16.

A fire alarm was triggered at Naperville Central on Oct. 16 by smoke in the school’s Little Theater, according to Principal Jackie Thornton.

The alarm went off at 8:37 a.m.. Firefighters and police personnel arrived on the scene shortly after.

Students and staff were let back into the building at 8:57 a.m. after receiving the all clear from firefighters.

“We didn’t know if there was fire that was causing all of that smoke – it does not appear that there was any fire,” Thornton said. “Possibly, that smoke is from the welding that’s happening because of the construction.”

Thornton sent out a Talk203 informing parents of the alarm, and addressed students in an announcement shortly after students and staff were let back in the building.

“I want to say thank you for taking [the alarm] seriously and evacuating the building as quickly as we did so that we can ensure everyone’s safety,” Thornton said in the announcement.