Kirsten Dunst and Cailee Spaeny star in Alex Garlands Civil War.
Review: “Civil War,” or how to be so safe you accidentally say nothing
Mack Gowan, Opinions Editor • April 18, 2024
Sophomore Deven Patel sits at his computer trading stocks during his lunch period. Patel has made over 30 times his investment by trading stocks.
Sophomore makes 'massive profit' trading stocks
Jinan Parves, Correspondent • April 17, 2024
Sophomores Amy Yang and Claire Cameron fundraise to support breast cancer awareness during a lunch period on Oct. 19 for Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA).
HOSA Chapter unable to attend state competition
Jayanthi Dar, Staff Writer • April 13, 2024
Carlo Rindi Nuzzolo, a Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions Post-Doctoral Global Fellow, performs a 3D scan of Naperville Centrals ancient Egyptian mummy.
Central mummy 3D-scanned for international research project
Jake Pfeiffer, Editor-in-Chief • April 12, 2024
View All
Support Us
$50
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of the Central Times by helping to fund their monthly print issues.

Recent Tweets
Instagram posts
Weather Central

• 7 AM
    42 °
  • 8 AM
    45 °
  • 9 AM
    49 °
  • 10 AM
    52 °
  • 11 AM
    55 °
  • 12 PM
    57 °
  • 1 PM
    58 °
  • 2 PM
    59 °
  • 3 PM
    60 °
  • 4 PM
    59 °
  • 5 PM
    58 °
  • 6 PM
    57 °
  • 7 PM
    56 °
  • 8 PM
    55 °
  • 9 PM
    53 °
  • 10 PM
    52 °
  • 11 PM
    52 °
  • 12 AM
    52 °
  • 1 AM
    52 °
  • 2 AM
    52 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    50 °
  • 6 AM
    50 °
  • 7 AM
    50 °
April 22
61°/ 39°
Partly Cloudy
April 23
60°/ 43°
Patchy rain nearby
April 24
49°/ 35°
Sunny

Ellsworth Elementary wins Blue Ribbon award

Photo credit: District 203
Students at Ellsworth Elementary celebrate winning a Blue Ribbon during their walk to school festivities.

Ellsworth Elementary School was awarded the National Blue Ribbon by the United States Department of Education on Sept. 19. Ellsworth was one of 353 schools to earn the award throughout the country and specifically earned it for their high performance.

The Blue Ribbon Award is divided up into two categories, Exemplary High Performing and Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing. Ellsworth was awarded the former for their performance on state and national assessments during the 2021-22 and 2022-23 school years.

“It’s such an honor to be able to celebrate as a school community to see the hard work that the students, the teachers and the community and to see everybody kind of all come together to support students, and then to be recognized for that work is just humbling and honoring,” Ellsworth Principal Kim Rutan said.

The award comes at the conclusion of a lengthy application that was capped at 420 nominations from throughout the country.

“Somebody from the state is in charge of nominating, they call you and they ask if you will accept the nomination,” Rutan said. “I had a ton of support from the district to kind of help me with different pieces of [the nomination process].”

Rutan has been Principal of Ellsworth for three years and led the nomination process for the blue ribbon award.

“I think it’s always been a special place even before I got here,” Rutan said. “But in the three years since I’ve been here, it’s been incredible to see us learn and grow together. There have been new things that we’ve done in terms of literacy instruction. I came here and it was the first year that we had a math specialist.”

Rutan will be heading to Washington, D.C. with another representative on Nov. 16 and 17 to accept the award and attend a conference for fellow awardees.

This award is the fourth Blue Ribbon that a school in District 203 has earned in the past year. In 2022, Elmwood, Highlands and Steeple Run Elementary Schools were awarded the Blue Ribbon.

“I think it’s exciting for the whole community to be recognized for their hard work, for the teachers, for our students to be recognized for what they do in the classroom and for our parents,” said Alex Mayster, Executive Director of Communications for District 203.