Junior breaks school long and triple jump records

Junior+Brooke+Sawatzky+jumps+the+triple+jump+at+the+York+High+School+invite+on+Feb.17+where+she+placed+first+individually+and+the+team+placed+first+overall.+

Courtesy of Brooke Sawatzky

Junior Brooke Sawatzky jumps the triple jump at the York High School invite on Feb.17 where she placed first individually and the team placed first overall.

Natalie Langan, Staff Writer

Junior Brooke Sawatzky recently broke two different school records during the current indoor track season. At their first meet, she broke the long jump record last set in 2016. At their second meet, she broke the triple jump record set in 2015.

Sawatzky was very excited to learn she broke these records.

“It’s always fun to make a record, but I think I was more happy that I hit a personal record,” Sawatzky said. “Track and field is one of those sports where you’re competing against yourself, so it’s really fun to see your individual achievements.”

Working hard during her off season, she was pleased to find out it paid off.

“I did a lot of work by myself over the summer,” Sawatzky said. “One of my coaches from last year gave me a training regimen. I lifted a lot of weights and got stronger and faster. Then as soon as the season hit, I was jumping a lot farther than I was last year, which was really great.”

Sawatzky competed in the New Balance Nationals on March 10 to the 12, and jumped 11.6 meters. She ended up placing 14 out of 50.

“It was an awesome experience and I got to compete against some amazing competition,” she said

Sawatzky hopes to compete in state competitions in the future.

“I’m looking forward to seeing where I can go and hopefully I’ll qualify or stay for [state].”