Boys Bowling places fourth at sectionals; qualifies for first state championship

Photo Credit: NCTV17

The Naperville Central boys bowling team placed fourth at their sectionals on Jan. 21.

Jay Deegan, Editorial Editor

Naperville Central’s boys bowling team will be heading to the IHSA State Championship for the first time in program history after placing fourth in their sectional on Jan. 21.

Central’s team scored 6129 points in the six game competition. They were led by sophomore Nate Taverna, who placed fifth in the competition with a score of 1358.Senior Sean Lee followed Taverna with a score of 1246, and sophomore Aiden Lee finished third among the Redhawks with an overall score of 1222.

“I think we had a strong day on Saturday,” head coach Brian Dunn said. “But I know that we’ve got even better in us.”

To qualify for state, the Redhawks had to place in the top six of a 12 team field at their sectional.

“The teams that I expected to be toward the top competing for the championship, they were all there,” Dunn said. “And they were all bowling very well.”

The state championship will have a practice session for participating teams on Thursday, Jan. 26 before the tournament starts on Friday, Jan. 27. 

If the team places in the top half of the 24 teams competing on Friday, they move onto the finals on Saturday, Jan 28.

The state championships will be held at St. Clair Bowl in O’Fallon, Ill.

“It literally is the most exciting tournament you’ll ever see,” Dunn said. “State is in this huge house. They’ve got upstairs viewing, downstairs viewing, the pomp and circumstance of the introductions at the beginning are just out of this world. But knowing that you’re there with the very best in the state, it’s something you strive for.”