Adams family continues soccer success

Jase Nuesser

Central forward Carter Adams watches the play down the field. With his father as the varsity soccer coach, Carter and his brother Chase grew up in a world of soccer.

Kait McHale, Sports Editor

The Naperville Central varsity boys soccer team’s powerhouse family, the Adams, helped their team to a 4-0 win against Romeoville on Oct. 13. 

With their dad as their varsity coach, the Adams boys, freshman Chase and junior Carter, grew up in a world of soccer. 

“My father, the boys’ grandfather, played soccer at the University of Minnesota which had influenced me to play,” said boys varsity soccer coach Troy Adams. “My wife played college soccer as well, passing that down to the boys.”

The boys both began playing soccer at a young age. 

“Soccer has always been a staple in our entire family,” Carter said. “So we started super young around maybe 6 or 7, then continuing to the next level through travel soccer.”

Prior to high school, Chase, almost two years younger than Carter had always played a level up, keeping up with his brother.

“I got lucky being so close in age with my brother because I had the opportunity to play with people that were older,” Chase said. “I think that really helped my development physically and tactically.” 

The boys’ rivalry translated into an unbreakable connection on the high school soccer field, Adams said. 

“I think their competitiveness has allowed them to grow together,” Adams said. “It’s neat to see that they understand each other, there are times you can see them connecting on the same wavelength.”

Chase’s hard work earned him a spot on the varsity soccer team as a freshman. Carter is a captain.

“[They’re] spending time in the offseason working on soccer and putting in their best effort when they’re on the field,” Adams said. “They both work really hard to deserve their spots on the team.”

Currently on a 3-week win streak, the team hopes to carry their success into the postseason.

“Team-wise we have some set goals, hopefully to win a sectional and carry that onto state,” Carter said. “The last game of the season is the most important.”