Review: Best summer reads by female authors

Evelyn Krupicka, Entertainment Editor

After being forced to read boring books written by old people, the summer is the perfect time to read books that are actually interesting. Here are some of my top picks by female authors from a variety of genres.

5. “Love and Gelato” by Jenna Evans Welch

For romance lovers, “Love and Gelato” is a nice softcore book. The main character, Lina, moves to Italy to live with a dad that she never knew. In do- ing so, she discovers truths about her late mother’s past and truths about herself. With all this going on, there is still room for romance. Though it can be read by much younger readers, it is still interesting for high school students.

4. “One for All” by Lillie Lainoff

“One for All” is a gender-bent twist on the legend of “The Three Muske- teers.” It features a main character who suffers from bouts of dizziness and fainting spells but perseveres in spite of it. After her father’s murder, she attends a finishing school to learn how to be a lady only to find that the finishing school will also teach her how to fight alongside three other female musketeers. There is the right amount of romance and mystery that makes this a very good read.

3. “We Hunt the Flame” by Hafsah Faizal

“We Hunt the Flame” is a fantasy book. Written by a Muslim woman, it is an adventure that takes place in ancient Arabia. It is full of magic and twists and turns that kept me stuck in my chair. “We Hunt the Flame” switches between the perspectives of two killers: one who kills for the sake of helping others and the other who kills to please a father who could never love him.

2. “Truly Devious” by Maureen Johnson

“Truly Devious” is a murder mystery featuring a group of gifted teen- agers who attend a private academy. The academy is home to a famous murder and disappearance case, the Ellingham murder. Main character Stevie is somewhat of a Sherlock and she attends the academy in hopes of solving the mystery. It is a quick and compelling book and is the first of a four-part series.

1. “Renegades” by Marissa Mey- er

This last book is by far my all-time favorite. “Renegades” is the first of a trilogy featuring superheroes and villains but told through the eyes of a villain prodigy who was forgotten and forsaken by society. It has action and intrigue that draws the reader in. Amidst all this, there is unlikely romance. Meyer’s other books include the futuristic twists on fairy tales in “The Lunar Chronicles” and a retell- ing of the Red Queen from “Alice in Wonderland” in her book “Heartless.”

There are many other interesting books apart from these that I would encourage both bookworms and non-readers alike to search out.